1954 RDE-16 25hp advice needed!

algravez

Recruit
Hey there....I am in the process of going through an old Electric start 25 Hp RDE-16. Everything seems to be in great shape but I am stuck on seperating the lower unit where I can inspect/replace the impeller. The shift linkage is driving me crazy while trying to seperate the housings.
Does the shift rod seperate at the powerhead or am I missing something?

I apologize for such a rookie question but I'm stumped. Any advice would help.

Thanks in advance.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1954 RDE-16 25hp advice needed!

Looking at the parts diagram for a 1955, it shows an access plate on the side of the midsection. Under the access plate is the shift rod coupler. Completely remove the bottom bolt and the shift rod should pull out.

algravez

Recruit

Thanks for the immediate response. In looking at the housing I couldn't find an access plate, however, by putting the shift lever in full reverse I was able to pull the housing apart (about an inch) where I could barely see the shift rod connector. There was just enough space for me to angle a screwdriver in and unscrew the connector and slide the unit apart.
I'm glad I made the effort as the impeller was missing two "fingers" and would have caused problems.

With the odd angle I hope I'll be able to get it back together!

Thanks, tx1961whaler for your quick response.
Now off to the parts shop....

kfa4303

Banned

ahh.... I think b/c that is a '54 model they hadn't yet started using the oval window to access the shift rod connector, but I believe that had started using it by '57 or so. Cool old motor. Good luck.

jbjennings

Captain

It's been a while since I worked on mine, but you may be able to take the main mounting bolts off so that the lower unit drops about 3/4", and use a screwdriver to get to the shift rod connector bolt that is accessible after the unit drops a little. Then again, it's been a while.
Later,
JBJ