how do i pressure test a tank?

hello all. i just started a thread on gas tank removal,but i am thinking if i dont have to take it out,leave it in. i am just a nit picker,and want to do it the right way. so i posted pics in the last thread,and am curious to know how to test the pressure. i have an air compressor,but dont know what to do.any help is so appreciated as this is me and my GFs 1st boat,and want to make it nice and never look back and say "we should have pulled up that gas tank"....thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: how do i pressure test a tank?

hello all. i just started a thread on gas tank removal,but i am thinking if i dont have to take it out,leave it in. i am just a nit picker,and want to do it the right way. so i posted pics in the last thread,and am curious to know how to test the pressure. i have an air compressor,but dont know what to do.any help is so appreciated as this is me and my GFs 1st boat,and want to make it nice and never look back and say "we should have pulled up that gas tank"....thanks in advance for any info!

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/testing.html. Check out the 4th item down on this page...you can get them at Lowes and Home Depot...they're cheap.

Cap off the vent and rig the gauge to the inlet side of the tank...pump it up to 5 psi or so and see if it holds the pressure. You can do this with a simple tire pump...the gauge I showed in the link is made just for this with the air valve and gauge made right in.