1956 JohnsonQDL-20 Points repair?

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1956 Johnson QDL-20. Recently she has been running poorly. I found a fantastic marina here in the Pasadena MD. area that has all the parts for this motor locally. Fairwinds Marina... Great place for those of you who like the oldies. Anyway. I hace parts manual, but not the service manual. I was wondering what the gap is supposed to be, and aslo, how to pull that flywheel, I dont have a puller, but can certainly go buy one.. any help would be great. Mostly concerned about the gap set...:D

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1956 JohnsonQDL-20 Points repair?

It may be printed or stamped on the top of the flywheel but if it isn't, I believe the point setting is .020".

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The flywheel is pulled with a harmonic balancer type puller. Use grade 8 1/4-20 bolts with it.

kfa4303

Banned

yup. You'll need a flywheel puller with three GRADE 8 bolts 1/4 x 20 x 3 1/2" to access the ignition system. The points need to be set at .020" with a feeler gauge with the cam lobe stamped TOP on the rocker arm of the points. Make sure that they're spotless and do not get any grease or oil on them during installation. You may as well replace the spark plug wires while you're in there too. You'll want 7mm COPPER core plugs (not automotive graphite core wires) and some new boots. NAPA sells it by the foot. I just got 6ft (2x3ft wires and 2 new boots for less than $20 and it made all the difference in the world. You'll be amazed at how much more easily it will start my '61 10hp went form 3-4 pulls to start to 1/2 pull. No sense in having good points and bad wires. If you do decide to install new wires, be sure you TWIST the on to the coil spike rather than just jamming them on there. That's about all there is to it. New points and condensers along with new s'plugs and s'plug wires and you have a virtually new ignition system in less than 30-40 minutes for less than $50. There are lots of threads here in the forums that can walk you through a "Tune up". Just be sure all of your wires are tucked away before you reinstall the flywheel so they don't become frayed over time. This may help too. Good luck.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/07/index.htm

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. I have several Johnson Service manuals, Just not this one, fortunately I found one today, Followed all your advice including the wires...good call. Barrell tested her about 2 hours ago and running like new... Thanks again everyone for the assistance..

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey neighbor!.....I love fairwinds also...they never let me down. Rick and Gary are always a big help. Good luck with your gem!!!

Mark

kfa4303

Banned

No problemo Phil. Glad you got her running again. I only recently changed the s'plug wires in my 10hp, and it was the best $15 I ever spent. I had already put new points and plugs in, but of course left 50 year old wires in place (drrrrrrr). No matter what I did she would just not run quite right, but after I changed the wires, Bingo! She starts easier than ever, revs higher and I'm getting WAY less black, unburnt fuel/oil oozing out of the exhaust after a day on the water. Happy boating!