Oil for my Optimax 115

ctoshack

Cadet
Ok I've seen all kinds of discussions about what types of oil can be used in an Optimax and it seems to me that as long as it is a 2 stroke TC W3 certified oil it should be safe to use. Is my assumption correct? I ask this because A. I'm tired of paying $65 for 4.??L of Optimax oil when I just bought a 5L jug of Formula 1 2 Stroke boat motor oil today that is TC W3 certified. The only thing holding me back from trying is that when I opened it up it was blue oil and I started second guessing myself.

Does anyone have an intelligent answer regarding this topic?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil for my Optimax 115

The answer to your question is rooted in the fact that Optis are direct injected. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, never passing through the crankcase, and the oil is injected into the crankcase, never mixing with the fuel.

Most 2 strokes have a fuel/oil mix passing through the crankcase. The fuel carries oil to the internal parts and washes them clean with every stroke.

That doesn't happen in a DFI engine. The oil has to get there by itself.

Oil made for DFI engines is a lot more likely to do the job than oil made to be mixed with fuel. Opti oil is not the only one, by a long shot.

Lots of people run any TC-W3 in their DFI engines and get away with it.

My attitude is to protect such a large investment by using what my manual tells me is required to avoid voiding my warranty.