Is this wearing properly?

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If not, what might be my problem. This is off the right rear of the brakes I had that were over heating.
The outside disc is half gone and the inner one doesn't show much of any wear???? Crappier material on the outside?? You wouldn't think. Again, this is no more than 2000 miles on it.

Attachments

• P7160800.jpg
    P7160800.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1

Jetwash

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is this wearing properly?

Are you using "DISK" when you mean Pad?

If something like that is wearing prematurely, the piston or pistons are froze up and not retracting. If thats the case you might want to examine the bearings for overheating.

You didnt say anything about the history, but another scenario is premature wear after an incomplete rebuild. If someone slapped new pads on without turning the rotors, the pads will wear prematurely and uneven. That will squeal due to vibration. The heat is most likely generated from constant pressure, so caliper should have been replaced also.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I meant pad. The rest of the story is in my thread from a couple days ago called,

"Trailer brakes not always releasing"

"The trailer is under an approximately 5500 lb. boat. The axles are three years old and have disc brakes. They have about 2000 miles on them. When returning from the coast last weekend, we found them really hot at our stop. So hot that the grease was squirting out the rubber caps for greasing the bearings.

I relieved the pressure at one of the bleeders and continued down the road with no problem. It did this 2 more times before I made it home but not nearly as hot.

The unit consists of the hitch actuator to the brake cylinder and behind that there's a reverse lockout unit.(Tiedown)

With several possibilities, what would be my best bet?"

All new axles, hubs/rotors, calipers and pads were installed approx. 2000 miles ago. They are Kodiak 225 calipers.

I examined the bearings and they look great.

NYBo

Admiral

This would indicate that the piston is retracting properly but the caliper isn't sliding when the brakes are released.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This would indicate that the piston is retracting properly but the caliper isn't sliding when the brakes are released.

OK. I believe you're correct. Thank you NYBo. After looking at what they call "pins" that the caliper slides on, it's fairly contaminated in there and isn't sliding much at all. After cleaning them up, what should I use to lubricate them prior to reassembly?

Also, is this something I should be checking yearly, and if so, can a guy lube these pins without taking the caliper apart. Maybe a good silicone spray lube?

vfrkent

Seaman

You need to get some caliper grease to lube the pins, when the out side pad is wearing faster then the inner it is binding on the pins, it also concerns me that the pad appears to be worn only about 3/4 of the distance up the pad, indicating that the caliper is not sitting all the way down on the rotor, the pad should be down making full contact with the disc.

Regards,
Kent

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I was thinking, but there's no adjustments or other options on how they mount. It's like the calipers were meant for a larger diameter rotor or they somehow sent the wrong mounting brackets. I'm waiting for a response from them about that.

So do you guys somehow lube your caliper pins every so often? If so, how is that done shy of disassembly?

NYBo

Admiral

I use anti-seize compound on my automotive brake caliper pins and pads.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pop the pads out of the caliper and post a pic of the pad side. It looks like the pad on the right wasn't seated properly. From your pic it looks like 2/3 or so of the friction material was missing the rotor. Same thought as vfrkent.

NYBo, surely you don't use anti-seize on your pads! And not sure it's good on the pins. Use brake grease, much higher melting point. Anti-seize isn't lube.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

what concerns me is the inner pad the one that looks good doesnt seem like it has enough pad for only 2000 miles when i put pads on my truck there at least twice that thick how are your brake lines set up? maybe it was a combination of this caliper doing all the brakeing and something else. did you check the rest of your pads too?

NYBo

Admiral

NYBo, surely you don't use anti-seize on your pads! And not sure it's good on the pins. Use brake grease, much higher melting point. Anti-seize isn't lube.
I put it on the contact points at the ends.

I use Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant. Among its recommended uses is brake pins. It is also recommended for head and manifold bolts, and spark plugs.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pop the pads out of the caliper and post a pic of the pad side. It looks like the pad on the right wasn't seated properly. From your pic it looks like 2/3 or so of the friction material was missing the rotor. Same thought as vfrkent.

The other 3 wheels are pretty much the same. The inner pads have hardly any wear.

P7170803-1.jpg

P7170806-1.jpg

GA_Boater

If all the calipers are the same, then you have one smaller rotor in the mix! That caliper, pad and rotor don't belong together from looking at the first pic.

NYBo

Admiral

If all the calipers are the same, then you have one smaller rotor in the mix! That caliper and rotor don't belong together from looking at the first pic.
Yep, there is something very wrong here.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If all the calipers are the same, then you have one smaller rotor in the mix! That caliper, pad and rotor don't belong together from looking at the first pic.

I'm curious how you think that there's one smaller rotor? I'm missing something.

These came in kits. Think they may have boxed them wrong?

GA_Boater

The entire face of the pads should be on the face of the rotors. It can't be half on and half off. When the caliper and pads are installed the rotor should be proud of the pads.

In other words when installed looking at the pads and caliper, the edge of rotor should be higher than the fiction pads. Does that make sense?

You either have one smaller rotor or one incorrect caliper/pad set-up.

Measure all rotors and see. And compare all of the calipers.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Measure all the rotors to make sure they all the same.
A tape measure will tell you everything.
Something is wrong there.
Anything is possible?
After looking at those Pics again. There IS NO WAY the Pads should be Bigger than the rotors.

etracer68

Ensign

Anti-Seize works great, and it looks to me that the rotor diameter is to small.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I've used 'never seize' on brake parts for 40 years.. and,plus one on the rotor being too small a diameter.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to autozone and get the permatex disk brake lube its in a green bottle for the pins. I would lube them at least anually.

You need to disasemble to lube them properly. They should come off pretty easy if you do it anually.

As to your picts, assuming that all of them look the same as your picts, your rotors are too small for the callipers and pads you have. If it was a kit it wasn't packaged properly or it isn't a good kit. I am not familiar with that company so I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume packaging.

Your rotors are at least 1/2 " too small. The pad should sit completely on the rotor with space on the inside and the outside edge of the rotor when seated properly.

I would also guess that the rotors you have are warped at the very least a good brake shop can turn them for you.