1997 Caravelle 4.3l lx gen + alpha one - Need help with timing!!!

calkinstech

Recruit
I'm new to this and would rather post TMI (too much information) rather than not enough. I bought a 1997 Caravelle with a 4.3l / Alpha One Gen + for $2500 knowing the engine was shot (block, heads, and intake all cracked because of improper winterizing), hoping to just replace it and go on like I have with plenty of Chevy Blazers and S10's. The 4.3l Vortec is nothin new to me, except the guy had tore down the motor without marking the distributor position on the intake or position of the rotor on distributor and had 75% of it disassembled.

I bought a reman motor from Rapido Marine out of Hollywood, FL. I had received the 909 Block I needed along with the Vortec heads. I received as casting numbers go a 98 909 block and heads from an S10 presumably out of a 4x4 due to not having the oil filter adapter with it. Shop had built it with just a a regular Vortec gasket kit for truck application as far the number on the gasket kit goes.

So the problem i'm having is timing it. The origional harmonic balncer sleeve was bad so I replaced it. It has 3 marks each 90* from each other. The composite timing cover only has the V cut in it for TDC. So i can't be totally sure of BTDC*. I've tried following the Service Manual Sect. 4E-10 on it. Found Prpl/Wht lead and grounded it. Set my #1 cyl. to the compression stroke by turning it over by hand holding my tumb over the plug hole till air was passing by. Then aligned the rotor to the position of the #1 cyl. as noted on Dist. cap. and attempted to start got Nothin!

Has Also tried to position rotor btwn cyl. #1 & #6 on the cap and on compression stroke of cyl. #1 engine had tried to fire, just needed a little more turning of distributor, ran out of room to turn it. Had also tried with rotor on cyl #4 got no results. I have spark at the plugs so coil and ground are good. Just can't get it to fire agian or run on its own even with a bad idle.

Had noted fuel was only getting pumped into carb, when upper butterflys are completely closed. Has and electric choke but have to hold butterflys closed to get the fuel. Had a bent and twisted fuel line, so i bent a new line to unrestrict fuel flow. Took Carb apart to clean and check float and jets. Float is set, jets are clear. New fuel filter. Still choke holds upper buttterflys open trying to start and no fuel unless held closed. Fresh fuel being used and checked to make sure fuel was getting to carb with key on/and yes.

I have Fuel and Spark! Just can't get it timed!

Been trying to get this done before my deadline and family reunion on the 4th of August this year and feel like i'm not gonna make it. Just frustrated at this point. I followed a GM ASE Cert. mechanics instructions and no results, Followed Service manual procedures, no results. Please any help would be appreciated. Am on a tight budget otherwise I'd pass off my headache on a Marine mechanic but, can't afford it!I'm more than capable of doing it and would be happy for any advice to reach my goal thanks!​