1985 85hp Force Ignition Switch Problem

LJ344

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

So, I have been battling this force ignition system for months now and have finally got it running by replacing one of the CDI modules. There is a catch however. It only will start up if the Magneto (white) wire is detached from the ignition switch, either at the switch or at the terminal strip on the motor. If it is attached I have no spark on any of the three plugs. Detached, spark on all three, motor will start right up, but will not turn off. To turn of the motor I re-attach the magneto (white) wire at the terminal strip and it then only stops when the key is switched to the "on" position.

I bought a new sierra 6-terminal ignition switch as the first thing to diagnose the starting problems. I think it can be one of two problems... 1) It is the wrong switch for this motor since it is sending a charge to the kill wires in the on position instead of the off position. or 2) The wires are connected to the switch wrong even though I have followed the wiring diagram and everything else seems to be working (start, choke, etc...) .

I haven't switched any of the wiring on the ignition switch terminals yet as I don't want to damage anything. Can someone help me as to what they think the problem is here? Thanks guys.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 85hp Force Ignition Switch Problem

White wire to one "M" terminal on the switch. Blue wire to the other "M" terminal on the switch.

At the engine: White to the white terminal. Blue to the Blue terminal. Blue terminal jumped to black ground.

LJ344

Recruit
Re: 1985 85hp Force Ignition Switch Problem

Thanks Frank. That is the way I had it. I saw another terminal on the ignition switch that was flush with the switch so I tried hooking the white wire up to that and it worked like a charm. The flush terminal is different than all the other terminals on the switch and is located next to the "M" along with one of the typical terminals. I am guessing the two terminals for "M" are if you have different type of ignition systems. One that uses a charge to kill (mine) or one that kills with a lack of a charge. Beats me but it works. Thanks for the help!