1978 evinrude 70 hp idle

juggnasty

Cadet
i just bought a 78 evinrude 70hp cleaned and rebuilt carbs replaced plugs, changed coils, rebuilt fuel pump, change hoses and primer bulb but motor wont idle below 1100 rpm or it will die in gear. and when you go to take off it will bogg and then pick up and run like the wind. im thinking of replacing the reeds but not sure any suggestions.?? oh yeah and compression is 100 on all cylinders.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 evinrude 70 hp idle

Did you do a link & synk when rebuilt the carbs?

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Take out the low speed jets and check them for blockage. I did most of what you did then took it out on the lake. It ran good for about 20 seconds then began to behave badly. Ran like crap at idle but ok at high throttle. Had to paddle to the dock because it would just die when idled down.

Tore down the carbs again and found that two of the slow speed jets were partly blocked with flecks of black stuff. It must have been somewhere between the filter and the carbs when I reassembled the first time. Recleaned and installed new fuel line and runs great now. It might have been from the fuel line but I suspect it just got in there while I had it apart. The pieces were absolutely tiny. I had to use the magnifying glass and still could not make out what they were.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't sound like an issue with the reeds.

juggnasty

Cadet

i cleaned the carbs two or three times thinking they was something left but nothing at all . decarbed as well im about to pull my hair out lol

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I only say this because a friend of mine had the same motor with a very similar issue, his had the wrong jets and ran terrible until they were changed. Check the numbers on the low speed jets and see if it has high altitude jets in it. Or if you're at high altitude make sure it has the correct jets for that.

Also, if it dies slowly it's normally fuel related, if it dies like somebody flipped a switch then look for an electrical problem.

juggnasty

Cadet

Well found part of the problem one of the carbs was out of sync because the link was loose but now its not charging and sticky stuff is coming from under the flywheel im thinking the stators bad. Seems as when i fix one thing something else goes bad.!!!