Fuel Pump Questions

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need a new fuel pump, what would be the best pump for me to go with and what should the psi be? I am considering a Red Holley Marine, is this is a good one?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel Pump Questions

what would be the best pump for me to go with
The OEM, Original.......<br />
what should the psi be?
4 to 6psi....... Anymore,+ you'll be pushing fuel past the needlevalve........<br />
I am considering a Red Holley Marine, is this is a good one?
Ayuh....... It's a great pump........<br />But,<br />You Don't need it....... You'll be Wasting your Money$$$$$$$........<br />You'd Also have to buy a fuel pressure regulator to go with it....... More wasted Money$$$$$$.....

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cant use the original because it use to have a manual pump. When I had to rebuild it I used an auto block without the setup for a manual pump. I to go electric. I honestly have no clue as to what to go with. I have a cheap one on there from an auto parts store(yes it is coast guard approved) It has already died on me.

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo, I would also like to replace the pickup assembly in the fuel tank since it has never been done. Where can I find this?

Bondo

Staff member

I would also like to replace the pickup assembly in the fuel tank since it has never been done.
Unscrew the "Elbow" from the top of the tank.........<br />The "Pick-up Tube" Should come out with the Elbow........<br />Clean it,+ Reinstall it.....<br />No Need to Replace it......<br />
I have a cheap one on there from an auto parts store(yes it is coast guard approved) It has already died on me.
Get Another 1.... It Shouldn't have died....<br />Mount it After the filter,+ before the carb........<br />Maybe a Better, or more expensive 1.......<br />I just saw a Mercruiser Pump on ebay this morning, during my "Mercruiser" search.....<br />That's another option...<br /><br />The Holley, or any other would work.... But I know the Holley Needs a Regulator to bring the psi down to the nessessary 4 to 6psi......<br />Alot of $$, with No Real Bennefit......

TilliamWe

Banned

When I had to rebuild it I used an auto block without the setup for a manual pump.
Does that mean that there was no casting on the side of the block at all? :confused: I have seen the "auto" engines have a "block off plate" bolted on there, becuase they don't use mechanical pumps. But you just unbolt it & toss it aside & re-istall the mech pump.<br />I'll have to watch for that if I ever have to use a crate engine to repower a boat.

Bondo

Staff member

On the late model blocks, there's a Bump there,<br />But it's Not Machined at All........

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bondo, I went out today to crank her and the dang-on thing started right up and purred on the first turn of the key? Maybe I did't let the pump pressurize? anyway, I think its ok but I will check it out more closley come spring so I do not ruin anyone else's day with a tow. Thanks again Bondo.<br />P.S. I have a saftey switch on it so the pump will not kick on until the oil pressure gets right. Best $15.00 I have spent in a while. That probably did't have anything to do with it but I figured I would throw it there. I still think the pump is a P.O.S

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you have it wired right. It should be wired so that when you are cranking the engine it gets power from the starter solnoid and then from the oil pressure switch once the engine is running

TilliamWe

Banned

On the late model blocks, there's a Bump there,<br />But it's Not Machined at All........<br />
Bondo, thanks for that info! That crate engine (GM ZZ3 350cid) that we used to re-power a pickup was intended for carbs and/or off road, so that must be why it still have the casting for a mech fuel pump.