Fuel oil ratio

Daddypleo

Seaman
I have 3 gallons of 24:1 fuel for my Gale Buccaneer and my Johnson 33 uses 50:1. Can I take 3 gallons of gas and add it to the mixed 3 I already have and make it 50:1?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel oil ratio

I assume you intend to run the final mix in the 33?
While it sounds right I think to play it safe I would add 3 gallons of 50:1 to the 24:1.
That way any errors on the lean side won't do any damage.Won't hurt anything just a little extra
smoke.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oiling fuel for outboards is a lot like providing water for athletes. More that she needs is harmless; it's not enough that you need to worry about.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i would disregard respectfully. less is sometimes more. with today oil , experience has shown that very low mixtures can be run with enough oil to lubricate critical parts and not fouling plugs and carbing the engine. but its is of course everyone decision

nwcove

Admiral

i disagree completely! more oil....to a point....will only keep your motor lasting for years to come. mix it what you want, but that extra "splash" of oil...after you mix it to specs, is well worth a set of plugs and an ounce of seafoam.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

More oil actually makes your motor run leaner, which can mean more heat and holed pistons if its not jetted for the additional oil. More oil can also increase the amount of carbon deposites in the motor (the reason for the fouled plugs) which can lead to sticking rings and broken pistons. Now will a slight amount of additional oil cause problems...not likely, but running it rich on oil is not something that is totally harmless.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when running on the correct mixture ratio the manufacturer recommends, i think you run already on a safe side because there are margins in the ratio and nowadays oils are surely better than the oils used decades ago. i do not see any further advantage in building another self made margin since the engine is already fully lubricated and the extra oil has no other job to do than sticking rings, fouling plugs and being burned in a smoky manner.

JB

More than enough is harmless, particularly on the one-time basis the OP asks about.

Less than enough will kill your engine; one time could be last time.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

More than enough is harmless, particularly on the one-time basis the OP asks about.

Less than enough will kill your engine; one time could be last time.

I agree. My comments are to those that think they are much smarter than the engineers that designed these motors who concluded 50:1 was sufficient protection and designed them to run best at that ratio.

nwcove

Admiral

.......like some omc's from the 80's? you know.....the ones that the engineers designed and concluded that 100:1 was sufficent protection and designed them to run best at that ratio.
(i didnt get the bulletin that was sent out way back then......but im sure glad i mixed my 1985, 4.5hp at 50:1 from the day it was purchased......it still purrs like a kitten.)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The 100:1 was not good for long term storage, running it was fine. Once this was discovered it was changed back.

They made a mistake and when the facts proved them wrong they changed back to 50:1

puddle jumper

Captain

What I would do is dispose of the 3 gallons of 24/1 mix and just get some fresh gas and mix at 50/1. Simple with no room for error. Whats $20 of fuel compared to a bad day at the lake.

nwcove

Admiral

the way i understand it.....and maybe i misunderstood ........that service bulletin was issued "shortly" after those motors hit the market? how long did it take to discover that "long term storage" was an issue? to many of those motors had bearing failures at 100:1 , with short term storage (4 months or less in this part of the world) to say that lack of lubrication can be explained away by saying it was a storage issue is a bit of a streatch. in my humble opinion.....100:1 was an experiment gone wrong.

JB

Yup. So was FICHT, but what does that have to do with the OP question?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Different story around these parts, people still come to this site running 100:1 on those motors, Yamaha went to 100:1 and didn't go back.

As to the OPs question, just mix it with 3 gallons of straight gas and use it.

nwcove

Admiral

it has alot to do with the OP question! that poster was worried about any issues with over lubrication or under lubrication, hopefully this debate helped OP and others with making somewhat informed decisions about the pros and cons of oiling outboards. puddlejumper brought it all back to reality!!!

Daddypleo

Seaman

What I would do is dispose of the 3 gallons of 24/1 mix and just get some fresh gas and mix at 50/1. Simple with no room for error. Whats $20 of fuel compared to a bad day at the lake.

Done and done! Thanks PJ!