Heat Exchanger Cleaning

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I am going to be replacing the Manifold on my 165 Mercruiser IL6 this spring. When I installed the FWC system last spring, I noticed some debris in the manifold when I removed the rear end cap of the manifold. I cleaned it the best I could but I suspect that the heat exchanger could be dirty. It is an old block that I rebuilt. I had the block boiled out at the time of the rebuild but maybe it wasn't totally clean?<br /><br />What is the best method of cleaning the heat exchanger and determining if it is partially clogged?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Heat Exchanger Cleaning

Hi Tony,.....<br />My H/E is different than yours,<br />But,<br />If you took it off,+ Back-Flushed it, <br />You should get some or Maybe All the crap out of it........<br />When it's empty, can you See the tubes from the fill cap ????<br /><br />Another Option, Course this 1 Co$t$ Money.......<br />Take it to a Good Radiator Shop................

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Hey bondo.........<br /><br />Can't see the tubes with the fill cap off.......<br />Can see the tubes from the return opening going to the engine mounted water pump.<br /><br />Will try the backflush when I replace the manifold. If you remember I had a problem where the hose from the H/E to the circ pump seemed to be collapsing under high rpm's and I installed a spring to prevent this......now I'm wondering if my H/E is partially clogged.

notaxnd

Cadet

Tony, What you could do is what I did with a radiator on an old farm tractor I have is I fill it with vinegar and let it set for about 10 days, it cleaned it up pretty good. You could do the same by setting your H/E on end and fill it. and after that flush it out and I think it will be OK. For those old rusted tools people have just put them in vinegar for about a week or two you would be surprised how they will clean up.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Vinegar?.....That's a new one.........never heard of that........but I'll give it a try......if I need to!

Bondo

Staff member

Me Too.......<br />But, Hey, I'll try Anything Once............<br /><br />Tony, It seems that if you pulled the H/E,+ turned it Up-side down,+ Flushed it....<br />You Should get an Idea if there's Much Crap in it........

FreeBeeTony

Captain

You're right bondo.........I'm just waiting for the beginning of spring to remove the H/E and replace the manifold......<br /><br />Guess I'm not to anxious..........huh?<br /><br />At the end of last season, when the water temp dropped, I expected my operating temp to drop also......it didn't. That's why I'm suspecting the H/E.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

permatex radiator cleaner works wonders, hydrochloric acid so be carefull, dont let it set to long

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Tony, <br />If you have a thermostat in your fresh system you probably wouldnt see much of a drop in coolant temp as the thermo controls the flow to maintain constant temps.<br />Peter

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

as long as its fresh water cooled sure, but you have to remove the coolant first, it works best with pure water. just flush out coolant take off cap and pour it in. Ive used it extensivly in cars and trucks, (I work on them all day) the crap comes out in chunks Im serious. After the engine runs for 15-20 min reflush forward and backward and refill with proper blend of coolant. Ive used it on both copper and aluminum radiators (including plastic tanks) with no ill effects. Keep im mind that it will only clean the coolant side, not the seawater side. peace