starting issue

stoney723

Recruit
I have a '96 EDIT 50 hp Force outboard. I recently replaced the solenoid and that fixed the problem I was having of the starter not engaging and often just clicking. Used the boat several times and everything was perfect. The boat sat for about a month, so before I took it out I tried to start it at home before heading to the lake. The starter engages, but turns VERY slowly. Battery voltage is good. Tried again and it did the same thing. I pulled the rope out and it was difficult to pull. I removed the plugs and it pulled over easily. Re installed the plugs, hit the key and it turned over normally for about 2 seconds, then slowed again. When i tried the key again the starter turned the motor slowly, and intermittently (like a car with a very weak battery). The starter stayed engaged and continued to try to crank even after I turned off and removed the key. I am very puzzled. Sorry for the long post, but I was trying to include pertinent info. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: starting issue

Howdy, Stoney.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You may have hidden corrosion in the battery cables and their connections. Take them off and scrub the connections shiny. Also look for swellings or weak spots in the cables themselves.

Good luck. :)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Anytime a starter continues to turn without the key turned, that NEW solenoid is toast. The contacts have bad spots, some not making good contact, turning slow, and finally burnt and stuck together.

Don't buy another cheap one at the auto parts store, get one rated for marine use.

stoney723

Recruit

um, it wasn't a cheap one from the parts store. It was purchased from a marine dealer/shop, and they had to order it directly from Mercury. It is an upgrade to the original one according to Merc. Thanks for the help though, I'll see if they will warranty the solenoid.

cr2k

Captain

Charge battery and test with a load tester. I'll bet it's not the amps to back up the volts.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This thread should be in the Force/Chrysler forum as it is neither a Mercury nor a Mariner outboard.

***********************************MOD's, Please move this to the Force/Chrysler forum. Thanks.*************************************