Hydra Sport 1800SS engine mounting height

olds442111

Cadet
My question is this. What level should the cavitation. plate be at? Mine is currently at the flat line above the boats physical bottom. I seem to cavitate too soon when trimming the boat after being on plane. Cavitation is very pronounced when I make fairly hard turns. I can only go one more hole lower on the mounting, but wanted some opinions before I do anything. Any thoughts are appreciated. The boat is a 1988 Hydra Sports 1800SS Center Console. I'm running a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. It also has a lower end Hydro Foil stabilizer on the engine,l which was there when I bought the boat.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydra Sport 1800SS engine mounting height

Sounds like the problem is mosst likely the hydrofoil. Take it off and see how the problem goes....hydrofoils aren't put on by manufacturer for a good
reason....and they are usually put on underpowered boats, but yours shouldn't really be 115 on 18' is about right with right prop. Try it without the foil and go from there.

olds442111

Cadet

The hydro foil has been removed, and the boat will be going out on the water this coming weekend. Will keep the forum posted.

olds442111

Cadet

No real change. I still feel that the engine isnt deep enough, so going to look into dropping it a hole.