Celebrity 180 No Start.

BTAY

Recruit
Hi Guys,

I have a 1990 Celebrity 180 with a 3.0L MerCruiser. I got it with the understanding it needed a floor but mechanically it was good. Just finished the floor and am trying to fire it up with little success. I've got some kind of wiring issues. Heres what I've done so far.

Needed a starter solenoid--Bench tested and the solenoid was no good, installed new and starter will opperate when jumped. Turn key however and all you get is a single click.

I must add, that when the battery is hooked up, regardless of key in the ignition or not, the small breaker directly under the key trips. This normally takes 10-15 seconds and about 5 seconds after untill you can reset. This happens over and over....now obviously I'm not doing this 20 times but after one or two the breaker and assosiated red/purple wire gets fairly hot.

Using your Forums and checking a few threads I came accross instructions to test the slave solenoid, which has tested faulty and I will install a new one tomorrrow.

My concern however is that even after this part is changed, I will still have the breaker at the key issue. Has anyone experienced this, or has input as to if the slave could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

AlmostFamous

Seaman
Re: Celebrity 180 No Start.

Hi,

I am by no means an expert, many others on here are. I have a 1989 Celebrity 181 with a 2.5 Mercruiser. I have not experienced your problem exactly, but something similar to it.

My boat would have a no crank condition from time to time. Out of frustration one day I started jiggling the key around in the switch and attempting to start it and it started. I figured out how to hold the key just so to get it start every time. This worked for a few trips, then I got a single click from the solenoid then nothing. I checked the fuses under the dash and one was blown, the one for the key switch. I threw in a new fuse, played with the switch and about every 4th or 5th try to start it the fuse would blow. Long story short, I ended up replacing the key switch and all is good.

I would suggest unplugging/disconnecting the key switch, hooking up the battery and see if the breaker trips. I suspect you may have more/different problems but the similarities to my problem are, well interesting.

Saqbcq

Cadet
Re: Celebrity 180 No Start.

Find the hot to the key switch and disconnect then se if the breaker trips. Its possible you have two problems you just have to check it out. If you have a manual the wiring diagrams will show you where to look, if you don't, post your #'s and someone will share info for you. The heat indicates a short somewhere.