Bilge pump location

swallman

Recruit
I've got a 1983 Ebbtide Montego 16.5 foot walk-through with a 115 HP Evinrude outboard. My bilge pump hasn't worked for some time and I'm getting sick of bailing it out. The problem is that I can't seem to find where the pump is actually located! I see where the hole is on the back outside of the hull near where the battery goes, but can't seem to get at it to trace it back to the pump.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I grew up with boats as a kid, but did more driving than actual repair. Finally got this boat a few years ago and getting back into the sport.

Thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Bilge pump location

The bilge on that boat will be directly on the opposite side of the drain hole (where you put your plug in before you go out on the lake). Get to that spot from inside the boat - usually your battery is in the back on the left, gas tank is on the right and your bilge is right in between them - and the pump should be right in there, generally mounted to a side (the bilge is typically a few inches deeper than the deck of the boat). It's about the size of your fist ( a little bigger).

swallman

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Went up to the marina to take another look again this morning (and see how much water it had in it after all the rain we got yesterday LOL). Looks like it will have to be a fall job as I'll need to pull the gas tank out to get at it (still can't see exactly where it is, but I'm sure it's behind the gas tank). With the tank in there, there's just no room to get back to the bilge at all.

Fortunately I have the original cover which is doing a good job of keeping the water out right now. Will pickup a portable pump for the time being until I can get it out of the water to work on.

southkogs

Staff member

That actually doesn't seem quite right to me - the bilge is something you kinda need to at least see from time to time. Might be the case, though (I don't know the boat) ... when you get a chance post a photo or two.

swallman

Recruit

That actually doesn't seem quite right to me - the bilge is something you kinda need to at least see from time to time. Might be the case, though (I don't know the boat) ... when you get a chance post a photo or two.

I'll take some photos in the next few days. The problem is that the main floor is right up against the gas tank (which sits over the top of the bilge from what I can tell). The tank is pretty much centered in the back of the boat. I can barely reach over the tank but still can't reach all the way back to where the pump would be. And even if I could reach it, I could never see what I'm doing to replace it.

There is just so little room to work back there damn it!