1977 75 johnson stinger lower unit reseal job.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 77 75 hp johnson stinger (long shaft) that I need to reseal. just changed lower unit oil and it had some water in it, no visible cracks in the lower unit so i assume it needs reseasled. what kind of money am i looking at for that is it some i should attempt it myself, or let a pro. do? if i did do it i would get a service manual, and change the prop seal, and water pump as well

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1977 75 johnson stinger lower unit reseal job.

A lot of lower unit water problems are caused by the gaskets on the vent/drain plug gaskets. People think they don't need to replace them when they change the lower unit oil. If you are not sure of the gaskets condition, I would drain and refill the lower unit using new gaskets, run it and recheck it.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok ill check them out, now i change my lower unit oil every 10 times at the lake, when i drained it i noticed a little bit of shavings should i be real worried bout that, they were on the magnet on the drain plug

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Does it make metal every time you change the oil, not good.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

no it doesnt, i replaced the gaskets on the screws mentioned i hanent had a chance to check though

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have doubts, have it pressure and vacuumed checked. Only way to go.