Blower works, but nothing else

Broater

Cadet
This is my first boat, a 96 chris craft concept. Everything worked great on the water a couple of days ago, but today as I was cleaning I went to turn the radio on and discovered it not working. I then tried my other switches and everything's dead. Everything but the blower, that is. Any suggestions on how to begin troubleshooting? It a brand new battery, and I would first guess a dead battery, but the blowers working. I'm new to boating and such issues and would really appreciate any insight into where I should begin looking.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Blower works, but nothing else

Ground wires to the battery would be the next thing i would check. You say everything is dead, including the engine ? Or does that still have juice, turn over, start ?

Broater

Cadet

I have it on my trailer, so I'm afraid to try to crank it until it's got some coolant (I live in a condo and dons have a hose to hook up). Would it be ok to just turn the key to see if it cranks, and then stop immediately if it does? Like I say, the blower works, but no other switches/gauges. Thanks.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah , sea if ya have power to to turn the engine over. Sure you can [bump] the key, Just dont let it run, if it starts for a second, shut er down ASAP You wont trash your impeller in 1 or 2 seconds. Just be quick, like a bunny.