How do I put the pivot screw back in?

Hi
I was planning on changing the oil in the lower gear case but I removed the pivot screw, not the drain plug.
I found the drain plug, now how do I get the pivot screw back in?
It's a 1959 35 HP Evinrude.

I have never had an outboard apart so I don't want to do something else wrong.
Bob

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: How do I put the pivot screw back in?

Remove the motor from the boat.

Lay it on it's side.

Use an awl or similar tool to get shift cradle hole in line with screw hole.

Replace pivot screw.

BTW, it may take an hour or more, so be patient. Bet you won't do this again!

kfa4303

Banned

doh! No worries. We've ALL done it :) In addition to wilde1j's suggestion, you can also try to realign the parts by leaving the motor on the boat and disconnecting the lower **** rod from the shift rod connector. You should now be able to wiggle the lower shift rod a bit, which should help you realign the hole. An extra pair of hands and a flashlight help too. Once you've got the pivot screw back in, you can reattach the lower shift rod to the upper one and refill the lower unit.

kfa4303

Banned

ooops. should say "lower shift rod". must've forgotten the "f" :)

I took the motor off the boat, laying on it's side I got the pin in by shifting from forward to reverse a few times. Now I can't move the shifter.

I did try to disconnect the lower shift rod but I could not get it out of the clamp. I did loosen the clamp screw first.

Will it be OK when I stand the motor upright?

Bob

kfa4303

Banned

You may need to spin the prop a few times by hand and then you might be able to get the gears to shift back and forth. It can be hard to get a good tug on the shift rod and have it stay in gear without it being hooked up all the way. As for the lower shift rod, it should come off more easily when the motor is upright and you have gravity on your side. Make sure the lower bolt in the shift rod connector is removed entirely. You might try to tug down on the shift rod with a pair of pliers to help free it. A bit of WD-40 or penetrating oil on the tip of the lower shift rod may help too. Thankfully, it can really only be one of two things. If the drive shaft is free, then it's gotta be the shift rod and vise versa. No worries, she'll come apart.......eventually.

IS THIS A BAD IDEA
Is it possible to take the lower section of the gear housing off and insert the pin through the rod and shifter dog and then put back together . I'll need a new seal.

Bob

kfa4303

Banned

hmmm.....I'm not sure how you'd do that as the head of the pivot screw would prevent the lower half of the gear casing from being put back on.?.? You should be able to realign the shift rod pivot hole and pivot screw by wiggling the lower shift rod and/or laying it on it's side. There is no hole in the clutch dog itself. Even if you do open the gear case, you'll still have to use the same procedure to put the pivot screw back in place once you replace the lower half of the gear case.

kfa4303
First thanks for your help
I did not know I needed to remove the rod clamp screw. Now it's removed
I have motor on it's side.
Before I disconnected the lower shift rod I was holding the pivot pin over the hole while I shifted from front to reverse a few times and the pin went in. Then it would not shift out of gear. I assumed something was jammed. I removed the screw.
Now
When I look though the pivot pin hole I see a small part of the hole where the pin goes. I can not get the holes to align. I use an awe to align and when I remove the awe it springs away.

I am not making any progress, (I align it springs away)

Question: Is the pivot pin going the shift rod ONLY?
I assume the pin is going through the near side of the gear case, through the shift rod, and into a hole on the far side of the gear case to support it.

I also assume grinding a point on the pivot pin is really BAD Idea.
I out in garage now still trying.
Bob 410-836-0588

lindy46

Captain

If the lower unit is off and on it's side, there is no spring mechanism which would cause the shift fork to "spring away" as you mentioned. You should be able to wiggle (gently) the end of the shift rod and look through the hole until you see the pivot hole in the shift fork. Then simply replace the pin. If the shift fork is not staying in place, it's possible it is no longer riding properly in place in the shift cradle. If that's the case, then you'll have to split the gearcase to get it back in position.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Once you get it lined up, turn the prop slowly and hold tension on it. Then remove the awl and install the pin.

I took the gear case apart.
The shift fork was not in the cradle right.
I am getting a new seal and will be putting it back together.
I will not make this mistake again:redface:
Thanks all that replied

wildcattim

Recruit

I just put one of these back together. Clean up everything real good and then let the sealer set up for a half hour before putting it back together. Wait a day before putting new gearcase oil back in and you might want to check/replace your water impeller since you have it out anyway! Good luck!