What can I do to my trailer to make my boat easier to load?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 16ft lowe line semi-v with a 40hp merc on the back, and it is a pain in the a** to get trailered up. I put some PVC guides on the side bunks but they didn't really help much. I've had several buddies that are also boat owners back my trailer in where they think it should be and regardless of how deep it is, it is still really difficult to come in. I try to come in as straight as possible, never too hot, and right when i get up close, it just does not want to stay on the trailer. It gets all sideways on the trailer and I either have to get pushed back off or hop into the water and pull the boat on. I used to trailer an 18ft VIP with a 150 on the back with no problems at all. It never tried to walk on the trailer with me like this boat does. Each time I've trailered it, the bunks have been fully covered in the water. I'm wondering if that is just too deep for this particular boat, and maybe the bunks shouldn't be that deep so the boat wouldn't be on top of them. My goal is to be able to load this boat by myself like I could with my VIP. Any help is appreciated.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: What can I do to my trailer to make my boat easier to load?

Waaaaaaaaay too deep. Back the trailer all the way in to wet the bunks, then pull up until at least half the length of the bunks is out of the water. You can always back it in a little deeper once you get the boat seated if it's too much trouble to pull it the rest of the way up. That will solve your problem.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will definitely try that next time. Both friends have different boats, one with a 19ft Grady White, which is massive compared to mine, so I guess he is just used to putting his trailer in much farther due to the size of his boat. Thanks for the info though. I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the lake.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For best control, the bunks should be close together. This allows them to contact and guide the keel as the boat comes onto the trailer. Put a second set of wide spaced short bunks at the transom if you're worried about support.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Why not use guide posts? They center the boat where you want it, even if you aren't in full contact with your bunks. When you pull out of the ramp, your boat will settle where you wanted it to.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure if mine were sturdy enough, they may have flexed too much when i tried to load up, instead of holding the boat in place.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A picture of the trailer without the boat would help us a lot.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I once converted a bunk trailer to a bunks with built in rollers to solve a similar problem. Wasn't hard at all and cheap to do. Maybe also check out a replacement roller trailer. When you see how easy it is to load up even a heavy boat onto a well set up roller trailer at the worst access imaginable, you would mortgage your house to get your hands on one. There are times that I thank my lucky stars for the rollers and wonder how the heck would I deal with this particular access without the rollers. Sometimes a lake will have the busy but nice paved access and also a local's access that always has a spot. The roller trailer lets me skip the busy, no parking access and use the dirt only, no ammenities access and save a ton of time and hassel since there is almost nobody in front or behind you. With the roller trailer the boat barely touches the water and you hardly need to back in.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately I don't have one already and I wont be able to get one until the next time I make it to the lake.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen some rollers, I could look into that, I just don't know how to go about that conversion. Granted, I've built 24ft gooseneck flatbeds and cattle trailers and more 6x10 and 6x16 utility trailers than I can remember, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Kurt V

Seaman Apprentice

Waaaaaaaaay too deep. Back the trailer all the way in to wet the bunks, then pull up until at least half the length of the bunks is out of the water. You can always back it in a little deeper once you get the boat seated if it's too much trouble to pull it the rest of the way up. That will solve your problem.

This. You have the trailer too far in the water and your boat is floating sideways. That 16 footer is a light boat and should easily slide up the bunks.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, that sounds like the cheapest fix so far, so I'll try that and maybe get rollers if that doesn't fix my problem.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, you don't need to do anything other than leave some bunk out of the water. It's a 16' john boat. No need to overthink it or modify the trailer. That said, is this the syle guide you have? http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...78&pdesc=Post_Guide_Ons&aID=603D&merchID=4006 If so, you might need to narrow the distance between them. They should allow for a little travel, but not much.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't buy any, I just made my own, but they are similar to that. Had some old rebar lying around so I just welded it to the bottom of the trailer and bent to the desired angle then slid the pvc over it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Gotcha. So how much wider is the gap than the boat? On every jon I ever had I set them just a farther apart than the boat's width so I could just kiss either one and gentle 'er right into the sweet spot. Worked like a charm, even in heavy current and/or wind.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

the guides are about 2 inches from the edge of the boat on both sides. If that is too far I can just bend the rebar a little more

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

the guides are about 2 inches from the edge of the boat on both sides. If that is too far I can just bend the rebar a little more

My guess is that the rebar just isn't stiff enough to do what you want it to.

Keep us informed!

Happy boating!

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may brace it up a little better. I honestly think exposing more of the bunks will do the trick. Thanks guys!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It will, and your spacing is good on the guides.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Your trailer is Way to deep.
Why not winch it up?