Towing a boat with a ford tarus

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
yea, it does work!

more of a SILLY thing to do, but whatever... Now I'm wondering if I can tow my boat with my lexus IS

2011-07-15%25252013.22.39.jpg

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towing a boat with a ford tarus

so is the problem that it's a car? or just that it's a Ford?

Sorry could not resist.. if the car weighs more that the boat and trailer it should not really be an issue. although there are WAY better ways to tow a boat.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:so is the problem that it's a car? or just that it's a Ford?

Think he meant both :D:):eek::cool::redface:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You did mean Ford Taurus, didn't you? Really, really dumb thing to do. That boat probably weighs 3X the car's tow rating and the trailer probably has no brakes.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At first I thought it was no real like this one.
Yaris.jpg

yabuoy

Seaman

That actually looks like the same type of boat I am going to attempt to restore, an old 17 ft Dorsett. I was worried how my Explorer would haul it but now I am assured it will probably be fine. Thanks to these brainiacs and your photography skills!

Thajeffski

yeah, oops, spelled it wrong, and I was taking the picture and walking (trying not to be obvious) :)

ziggy

Admiral

nice looking boat..

i kinda used to do that. when i got my first boat, well, my first watercraft, a sts 750 kawasaki pwc. i towed with it with a '87 chevy nova (5 speed manual). a corolla in disguise. i figured my load was about 1k lbs +. man, it was heck holding 75 on the interstate.... pedal to the metal, about 65 up hill, 75 downhill. figured if i wrecked i was just plain dead meat any way i looked at it... still here to talk about it though..:D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks like an accident fixin' to happen to me.:rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

As long as the Taurus tow capacity can handle that boat (and I doubt it does), then all is fine. I have had a few comments about towing my boat with my Firebird, but that just goes to show that "know it all" types do not know it all!! My boat and trailer weigh less than the limit of the firebird. Might look funny, but it works and tows well. Probably rear wheel drive has a lot to do with it. Especially when the rules of towing are followed, including speed limits when towing.

DSCN1317 (800x600).jpgDSCN1316 (800x600).jpg

Although i have to admit, the photo of the Taurus looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Thajeffski

Hmm, I have a 2002 SS camaro, u think it could tow my bayliner 195 bow rider 1200 miles? :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hmm, I have a 2002 SS camaro, u think it could tow my bayliner 195 bow rider 1200 miles? :)

Well, certainly not for a lack of horse power! But I bet the 195 is a tad over the SS's weight limit.:D

Just to make things easier on the Firebird, I added a B&M axillary transmission cooler, and changed the rear to 3.73 gears and an Eaton Trutrack posi also had the computer re-programmed for a few more horses, and performance shift points. Works for me.

82Collectors

Cadet

How about an 82 Vette pulling a 82 Mastercraft?

VettepullingBoat.jpg

Before you say "what the heck?" consider this.........The Vette has 355 HP, 405 #?s of torque, transmission rebuilt to level 2, stiff sport suspension, positive traction rear end, 11.75 inch rotors with 4 piston calipers all the way around. Although the Vette only pulls the boat a short distance it has always done fine. Pulls and launches the boat better than a V8 all wheel drive Explorer I have. I Never could find the tow capacity for a 1982 Corvette. :)

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice Vette, I also own couple vetts and pull a small trailer with my Z06 but the total weight is under 1K. There is more to towing than the HP of the motor or the size of brakes. You also have to consider the trans and axle (independent axle would probably be the weakest point in the Vette ;) ) Older cars had frames which were great for towing, with new unibody construction I would recommend against towing any substantial weight, say over 2500 lbs. Puling what I estimate is 5K total weight in a Torus is more than daring.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've seen a Vette towing a 18 ft Glastron/Carlson cvx before.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its pretty common in Europe to tow large trailers with what we would consider undersized vehicles. There is a lot to be said about going slow, and that gets these mis-matched rigs where they are going safe and sound.

That Mako is funny though, there is a huge difference between pulling the 8000 lbs mako up a ramp and towing it down the highway with that xterra. I tow my boats around the yard with a garden tractor, and it will pull them up my steep driveway, always at a walking speed. The bigger boat probably weighs 3 to 4 times the tractor's weight. But bring the tractor up to its top speed (about 8 mph) and things get hairy fast.

Love the vette rig!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

:p of course it's Photoshop ;)

Attachments

• vw-boat.jpg
    vw-boat.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

People always use to tow with cars. As long as it is within the limits of the car there should be no problems.