Gimbal Rings turns more Left than Right 1979 228 Mercruiser Pre-Alpha

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for the long post.

I have been trying to figure out why my boat steers way more to the left than right. The outdrive is off, bell housing off, engine out. I disconnected the steering lever andfound the gimbal ring would turn more to the left than to the right. Even so, the steering lever was still an inch from hitting the edge of the inner transom plate opening.

Moving the lever the other way, the lever hit up againstan obstruction of some transom wood that had not been cleared all the way out out the opening. (I presume when the boat was assembled.) I used a dremel and cleaned up this remaining wood and the steering lever moved all the way to the end of its travel until it bumped up against the inner transom plate opening.

So, I thought the steering would be better because the lever would now move more in the right turn direction with greater travel. Then when I hooked up the link rod to the steering lever, the rod would still not allow the lever to go its full travel turning right.

Question: the connection from the booster cylinder to the tube extension was in the hole nearest the center of the boat. There is a 2nd hole. When I hook the linkage to the second hole, the steering lever goes to the full extent of travel on right turn, and left still seems fine. Is there a problem using this 2nd hole to try and better this steering issue?

I seem to remember reading "on V8 engines use the inner hole" I cant find this reference.

Greatly appreciate any insight from someone that has dealt with this problem before.

Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal Rings turns more Left than Right 1979 228 Mercruiser Pre-Alpha

Do you have power steering or manual steering?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

sorry Don its power steering

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

It seems like maybe you could loosen the pinch clamp on the top of the gimbal ring and turn it a bit to favor evening out the turning travel ........is this feasable?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

anyone have any input on this steering issue? I am not sure what to do when a post gets 3 pages back and no response?.......seems it just gets swept away as more and more new problems are posted.

Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I really thought I replied to this after you said power steering. Probably clicked the wrong button again.
Here is a link to the drive manual. Look at the sections on steering. I may be you have the tube out of adjustment or who knows the wrong attaching link. Too long or short.

http://www.4shared.com/document/wPl4tS8_/Service_Manual_04.html

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I will check the manual and see what I can figure. If the tube is out of adjustment, it has been that way for 15 years....meaning I havent tried to adjust it. My boat always turned left better than right.....thought it was normal. My only other boat was a 1953 cris craft inboard that did the same thing~

thanks Don

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Don, in the manual you just sent me on page 6A9 there is a picture of the steering link rod attaching to the cable end adapter.....they say "be sure it is in INNER most hole". Mine was in that hole, but when I moved the steering link rod to the OUTER hole, the steering RIGHT was increased a little (which was what I was after), and LEFT was still ok. do you know why one hole vs. the other? do think it is ok to try it out like this?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Does how you mount the gimbal ring to the gimbal housing have any effect on getting equal steering in each direction? What I mean is, if the gimbal housing pinch clamp on the top was loosened, could I turn the shaft that gimbal ring turns on to balance the amount of steering left and right?