Timid to dock my boat

kelz1229

Cadet
I threw out about 9k on a Bayliner Trophy 19' with binimi top. Loved it at first sight. I upgraded from a 18' or 19' 1977 Invader. The invader I could manuever with no problem and dock it with no problem at my marina. I am having a lot of trouble with my Tophy however.

Basically I come in down my row at the marina and I have to make a left turn into my slip. I am way at the end so there wasn't anyone in the slip to my right until last week, so if I made a wide turn it wasn't really a big deal. But now there's a boat there so I have not gone out since.

I have trouble controlling to the boat basically and it feels like all my turns are wide. I am afraid of hitting him. I have not tired yet, but one thing I thought is maybe the binimi top is acting like a sail and catching wind, making it harder to control. I am docked on Lake Ontario and there is always a little wind.

I try to imagine in my head what I need to do but am looking for pointers. I know practice makes perfect, but that would mean going out on the water...
One thing I thought is going straight past my slip, then going in reverse turning wheel clockwise, and the going forward straight to my slip.

Anyone have a trophy notice a different with the binimi top up versus down by chance? Any pointers?
Thanks

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Timid to dock my boat

Can't help you with the boat or bimini, but you have a good idea on going past then backing while turning then pulling in if you don't think you can make the turn. That's what i would do.

phone sails

Seaman

it does make a little difference to me atleast but dont let that keep you in ,,slap some bumpers on and go no one says you have to speed and if people are wathcing and that makes you nervous crack a joke first on how bad your boating skills are and i promise you you will loosen up and have a great day ,,( till you hit your neighbors boat then run )lol

kelz1229

Cadet

Well on the bright side, if I slap some bumpers on and hit him at slow speed it's not going to do any damage....

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a friend on board to help out fending you off....find another slip that is empty and practice, practice......it's a skill you'll become better at each time you try....OH, and remember the rule....never approach anything/anybody at a speed greater than you would feel comfortable crashing into it at!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Docking is always tough and nerve racking to begin with. Practice and get more comfortable and you will be doing it without too much stress in no time.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The bimini is most likely catching some wind so try without it and it should get better. As far as the actual docking, passing the slip then backing and then turning in is a good method or you can basically 'k' turn it. Start turning in, put it in neutral and cut the wheel the opposite direction then put her in reverse to square it off, then back to neutral, turn towards the slip and into forward to drive on in. You could always ask your neighbor when they're going out and use that time to practice coming in. I'm sure if you let them know what you're up to, they'll be more than happy to spend a day out on the lake and give you some space.

Another possibility is backing into the slip although sometimes this is harder than pulling straight in.

boat1010

As the others have said. Slow is the key. When going into the dock just put it in gear and then take it out so everything happens in slow motion. And the "friend" to help keep you away from the other boat is a great idea. Then you can practice. There isn't a boater out there that didn't have to practice going up to or into a slip. Ya just start your turn, go to neutral then turn the steering wheel the opposite direction then touch reverse, that will get you straight then turn the wheel straight and cruse into the slip. Piece of cake.. A few times and you will be doing it like a pro...

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It helps soooo much when someone is concerned about the well being of not only his own boat, but those boats around them. More people need to be as concientious and so many more people would be willing to help them. My first boat is a 24' Wellcraft and everyone is right, practice, practice, practice. It ain't easy, it may not ever be perfect, but the more you practice, the smoother you will get and soon no one will even notice you heading out and in!

dsiekman

...or, you could be so bad at docking a single engine that you have to upgrade to twins and then a lot of your troubles will go away! I hated docking our last boat, even with help. This one is 4' longer and a foot wider but MUCH easier to negotiate around the docks due to the twin engines. Just kidding...mostly anyway. Try stopping or slowing the boat first using reverse. Then make your turn. Also, figure out which way the boat wants to walk by bumping in and out of gear. If all else fails, pad the heck out of the outer pilings and use them as a pivot. You can also tie a line between the inner and outer pilings to help keep you on your side.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Bumpers down, Bimini down, slow and easy and get a boat hook!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I don't think it's the bimini. I've had biminis, T-tops, and full enclosures. The biggest issue is the boat and motor combo. Due to the prop thrust & torque, different boats/engines combos will behave differently when in left or right turns, especially in foreward of reverse. My last 20' center console (with a 150 johnson O/B) would not back to the right worth a darn. It would just plow straight backward. When backing to the left, it would turn in it's own length. Your engine may or may not be turning completely with the wheel and the prop thrust/torque is taking some of the maneuverability out of the equasion. Try approaching from the other way and see if it's easier.

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just as everyone else said, practice. This is my 2nd year boating and the first year I'm actually confident in my docking abilities. Unless your like my friend Craig who has a 50 footer with side jets, but that's cheating. :)

Mi duckdown

Commander

It is all practice. and which way the wind is blowing, and current.
Every day is different.
Bumpers are a good thing.
You may have to slam it to reverse a few times.

sasto

Captain

I strongly disagree about "bumpers down". A "fender" tied up to a boat can cause more damage than any piling.

My best advice, kelz?

Enjoy your day on the water. Keep the docking/loading procedure out of your head, 'till the time is needed. I've seen too many ruin their day by thinking too far ahead.

Your thread already speaks about your concerns and responsibilities. Study beforehand, and take that knowledge with you.

Good Luck!

chriswh86

Cadet

it does make a little difference to me atleast but dont let that keep you in ,,slap some bumpers on and go no one says you have to speed and if people are wathcing and that makes you nervous crack a joke first on how bad your boating skills are and i promise you you will loosen up and have a great day ,,( till you hit your neighbors boat then run )lol

completly agree, i just bought my first boat and docked my friends boat the other day, It wasnt into a slip, just sorta pulled in sideways on the dock. worked out good, I remained confident, asked lots of questions and always remembered, I can reverse fast to stop fast. Get big bumpers and go as slow as you feel comfortable hitting something. And i agree, crack a joke and it will lighten things up, just remember, people that are watching you are the ones that arent in a boat doing it for themselves so they have no clue!

Chris,

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I have learned about 85% of the time, the ones who stand on the shore and point, laugh etc... don't have or use their boats. The real boaters will be the first one down the dock to grab a line or help you navigate in.

tvtech

Seaman Apprentice

Years ago I had a 31 cabin cruiser with a single drive. Same issue, scared to death puling it in to the slip. I took a good friend who understood my quandry and we found an empty slot sort of out of harms way and I practiced and practiced. Forwards in and reverse in. He had some fun with my clumsiness and ran around the boat fending me off various fixed objects. His humor kept me sane.

Beleive it or not eventually I realized I was controlling the boat, not the elements or my fear and it was similar to a dad letting go of the bicycle and you realize you can ride on 2 wheels!

We all bounce of something unintentionally (I hope) during our boating careers, the only speed you need is steerage. If you have steerage you can park it.:)

jasperboy

Seaman

If you can, pull past your slip and then cut hard to back in. At our marina it is always easy to tell the newbies, as they pull in bow first. All the experienced skips back in. Best advise is to go over to the transient docks and practice without other boats around. Once you get the feel, put down bumpers/fenders, and go slow.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lots of good advice. I tend to go super slow where I have just enough momentum to reach the dock and then walk it in by hand. Wouldn't work with a huge boat of course.