1983 volvo 270 clatter noise when running

redtailhawk

Recruit
Looking to purchase this 19' Capri with the 4 cyl. 270 outdrive. I added grease to the fitting on the inside of the boat on the top of the outdrive. The clatter noise went away. What does this fitting supply grease to?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1983 volvo 270 clatter noise when running

The bearing in the flywheel cover. You probably have water in it from a leaky ujoint bellows.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The drive shaft bearing in the flywheel housing. Sounds like it may be time to replace yours.

redtailhawk

Recruit

I'll run it a couple more times and see if this noise comes back. Is this 1983 Bayliner with the 4cyl. and 270 volvo penta outdrive a boat known for continual repairs? I have noticed there are quite a few others with repair questions. Maybe just a very popular boat? Lucky for me, I have not purchased this boat yet. Still trying it out. Are there any other obvious issues I should be concerned about?
Thanks for all you info,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have noticed there are quite a few others with repair questions. Maybe just a very popular boat?

It's almost 30 years old, and a large percentage of owner neglect the maintenance. Things like leaky ujoint bellows allows water into the flywheel housing and rusts the bearings.
You need to fix your problem now, if that bearing locks up and destroys the housing, you will be finding out what expensive is all about.

bubba360

Recruit

thats the same issue im having with my 1984 bayliner aq125a 270 .. when in nuetral I also noticed if the steering is all the way either port or starboard ,I can feel the chatter On top of the upper gear case ... Would this also be similar problem