do I have wrong cowl?

Ntinhri

Cadet
Who likes riddles?
I recently purchased a 18' Winner Bass boat. I purchased it thinking it has 150 hp black max XR2 (that's whats on the engine cover/cowl). I noticed the head leaking a bit of water, so Im on the hunt for a new head gasket. After 1000 calls and searching, (as well as a members input here), I think I have a 175 with a different cowl. what do you think?
Serial number A931060
Head gasket on it is 27-41247
Bore is 3.38
its got 6 cylinders

Is there any way to verify my engine size outside of the serial number? I hear its not uncommon for someone to switch out cowls in order to have more power than boat should have. Also in fishing tournaments I guess there is a max engine size? this might be a reason is was swapped? :confused:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: do I have wrong cowl?

xr2 is 2.0L, 3.125 bore, you have a 2.4L power head on it, could be anything from 150 to 225 hp. 3.375 bore.

More info would help. Hor or vertical reeds, carb numbers, porting specs, etc.

Sounds like you have a frankenmerc. Not necessarily a negative thing. No matter what,it should have more grunt than an XR2.

Ntinhri

Cadet

Reeds are vertical, was told.carbs were recent replaced when I purchased.intake tube size on carbs are like 1.69". Stamped on top of center carbs is 2535 , wh-34-2,

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

2.4 liter 175 or Xr4 block. The 175 will be a chrome bore and the Xr4 will be sleeved.....

Ntinhri

Cadet

Head is not sleeved. Ive never seen chromed cylinder walls, but mine look typical, bout same color as you see in a car/Truck.

Ntinhri

Cadet

BTW it has no grunt current, water got into #2 (stupid head gasket) and fowled plug. No spark on #2 and #3 was dead too, fresh set of plug and gaskets on the way, lets hope the gaskets fit properly.

BTW thanks for your help

carholme

Rear Admiral

We have already been through this when I checked out your s/n previously but you had decided that the crap sheet you were using said it was a 150 and there was nothing even close to a 175, so I will leave this one up to you.

Go here:

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/ca/parts-search.html

and enter your s/n with a 0 in front of it, hit search and look at what comes up.

Gerry

j_martin

Admiral

Vertical reed steel sleeve 2.4l = XR4
WH-34 carbs are off a 2.4l 175.