2 Cycle Snowmobile Oil

scubaguy9

Cadet
Can you use older style snowmobile oil in the older outboards .As in older I mean late 50's early 60's outboards. I was given a case or snowmobile oil the person insists that I can use it in outboards but thought I would check to be safe. Want to treat these old girls right.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 Cycle Snowmobile Oil

i'm sure there is a difference in 2 stroke oil for different machines i use outboard oil for my chain saw worked for years and i've use chain saw 2 stroke for my snowmobile before good rule of thumb as long as it's 50:1 you should be alright

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suspect it would be fine as long as you keep the correct ratio 24:1 for the 50's/early 60's and 50:1 from '62 on.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Modern snowmobile oil is a lot better than what was recomended or available back then.

scipper77

Commander

I'd err on the side of caution and stay away if I were you. Of course what do I know??

On the other hand those old outboards were designed to run on straight 30 wt oil. They can probably run on anything as long as the mix is rich enough.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

An air-cooled engine runs hotter than a water-cooled one, and requires an oil with a high ash content, which your outboard does not get hot enough to burn off. The cylinders & transfer ports and piston crowns get coked up, rings get sticky, you lose compression then one day, your fine old machine is an anchor.

"I've done it before so it must be ok" is faulty logic. When I was a child my parents never wore seatbelts and never even once got killed. If your outboard is going to die prematurely because you don't service the water pump or clean the carbs or something, then sure go ahead & use whatever oil you have on hand. Or if you're planning to sell it next winter.

TCW oils came along in the 60's. Or maybe the 50's? No matter, the motors that ran 30-wt, that's all there was. So, sure it'll run, for awhile.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

^^^^+1
Thanks... saved me a lot of typing. :)

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

An air-cooled engine runs hotter than a water-cooled one, and requires an oil with a high ash content, which your outboard does not get hot enough to burn off. The cylinders & transfer ports and piston crowns get coked up, rings get sticky, you lose compression then one day, your fine old machine is an anchor.

"I've done it before so it must be ok" is faulty logic. When I was a child my parents never wore seatbelts and never even once got killed. If your outboard is going to die prematurely because you don't service the water pump or clean the carbs or something, then sure go ahead & use whatever oil you have on hand. Or if you're planning to sell it next winter.

TCW oils came along in the 60's. Or maybe the 50's? No matter, the motors that ran 30-wt, that's all there was. So, sure it'll run, for awhile.

I am certainly happy your parents never even once got killed. Mine never wore seat belts and were killed 5 times. It was only then that they began to wear them.

I think the logic you are using is faulty also. "I don't really know so it must not be good" is just as faulty as "I've done it before and it must be ok".

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I am certainly happy your parents never even once got killed. Mine never wore seat belts and were killed 5 times. It was only then that they began to wear them.

I think the logic you are using is faulty also. "I don't really know so it must not be good" is just as faulty as "I've done it before and it must be ok".

:confused::confused:

Actually the poster provided a very succinct explanation of why you should NOT use snowmobile oil in an O/B.
The fact that you completely failed to understand it, does not mean that his logic was faulty.:facepalm:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

TC-W3 oil is for outboards and other water cooled 2 strokes. Air cooled 2 strokes run a lot higher temps.

I ruined a chainsaw by putting outboard oil in it. I have not ruined an outboard by using chainsaw oil, but I am confident that chainsaw (or snowmobile) oil would not be good for it. As far as I know, most snowmobiles are air cooled.

Use TC-W3 Outboard oil in your outboard. Eating dog or cat food probably wouldn't harm you, but I doubt that you do it.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

. As far as I know, most snowmobiles are air cooled.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh not any more ! Except for the smallest , entry level sled [fans] They are pretty much all Liquid cooled now. SKIDOO RULES!!!! I am not joining the oil discussion, just commenting on that 1 statement JB. What do Texans know about sleds anyhow ???!!!:confused: Just givn ya a hard time JB ! ;) Minnesota native here, I was born in a snowbank FYI !:rolleyes::D

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

The snowmoble oil that I use is TC-W3 rated, I think most if not all sled oil (today) is in fact TC-W3 rated since 95% of modern sleds are liquid cooled. Not saying that theres no difference between sled oil and outboard oil but if the argument is that an outboard must run on TC-W3 than why wouldnt TC-W3 sled oil be acceptable?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the tc-w 3 oil. Just remember. Good oil and good fuel are the cheapest things you can buy for any type of engine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh not any more ! Except for the smallest , entry level sled [fans] They are pretty much all Liquid cooled now. SKIDOO RULES!!!! I am not joining the oil discussion, just commenting on that 1 statement JB. What do Texans know about sleds anyhow ???!!!:confused: Just givn ya a hard time JB ! ;) Minnesota native here, I was born in a snowbank FYI !:rolleyes::D

Thanks for the correction, Paul.

I have spent a few winters in MN and AK, That is why I settled here; have you spent any summers in TX??

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the correction, Paul.

I have spent a few winters in MN and AK, That is why I settled here; have you spent any summers in TX??

No summers in TX... San Diego,. Nevada, Kansas, CO. would be the closest. I watch the weather station., It looks like sometimes a nuclear explosion in TX would end up being a cool breeze for you guys.:eek: BTW, no offense intended, plz 4give my smart arce ness;):):D

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

:confused::confused:

Actually the poster provided a very succinct explanation of why you should NOT use snowmobile oil in an O/B.
The fact that you completely failed to understand it, does not mean that his logic was faulty.:facepalm:

I didn't read any "succinct" explanation in is posting. I read someones opinion with no facts to back it up. Just saying a higher ash content is a statement I could pull out of my own ash.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

There is a lot written about oils for different types of motors, some accurate and some just person's opinions.

It boils down to outboard motors, like airplane engines run long hours at a steady throttle setting and always under load. Any metallic additives like zinc, etc. can cause hotspots and preignition. No zinc is allowed in aircraft engine oil.

air cooled and liquid cooled motors on chain saws, lawn equipment, PWCs, 2-stroke motorcycles, are almost constantly changing rpms up and down. Metallic elements are needed for high temp protection and the constantly changing combustion chamber temps break up these metalic compounds and blow them out the exhaust.

Without going into all the physics and engineering involved in motors and lubricants, this was a basic explanation of the diffences in lubrication requirements and duty cycles.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I worked for OMC (1968 -1973) Snowmobile and Marine Engineering, we ran TWC-2 oil in everything. That was Evinrude & Johnson 50:1 oil sold in cans. The only difference was that Outboards ran 50:1 mix and Snowmobiles ran 24:1 mix. Just my .03 worth.:)