Water in Transom

72Stinger

Cadet
I have a water leak that is going into the transom I believe; I noticed that the upper bellow is cracked and leaking water out a little, I changed the oil, but lasts a couple of days on the water, so it's not leaking bad, do you guys think it is that bellow or is it something internal?<br /><br />Thanks for your input.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in Transom

It is hard to diagnose your problem without knowing what brand of motor you have. On Merc Alpha 1 motors for example, a leaking driveshaft bellows could cause the boat to sink, but doesn't allow either motor oil or gear lube to leak out. If you are loosing gear lube, or water is present in the gear case, you have a bad gearcase seal. On alpha 1s a belows leak will not cause this!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Water in the bellows will also allow water to get in the outdrive oil. It also gets into the gimbal bearing, or intermediate bearings (Depending on type of drive)<br />If you don't fix it, it's going to start costing you big time.

Bondo

Staff member

I noticed that the upper bellow is cracked and leaking water out a little,
That's your Problem..........<br />There Shouldn't be any water in it in the 1st place.........

72Stinger

Cadet

I just thought that if I caught the bellow leaking water; because it is old and cracked; that would be the only way water can get into the transom, I was hoping the bellow and oil change would be the only thing wrong...lets hope.

72Stinger

Cadet

The motor/transom is a '72 Volvo Penta 270t I/O no problems thus far except this minor leak into the transom, never replaced bellow, that's a good indication just wondering if there is any other way water can get into the transom and turn my oil into chocolate milk.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep an eye on it!!!!!! From experience (badddddd)if one is leaking and cracked the rest won't be to far behind. Check the oil in sterndrive for water, if you see any its time to have your boot changed. Water in sterndrive = big problems and money if you don't fix it right away.<br /><br /> Jim

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

72,<br />It sounds like when you say "transom" you mean outdrive. Anyway, Don S said it all.<br /><br />Dave