1996 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner Flooding?

Neptune181dc

Recruit
I have a 996 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner that seems to fire off and run fine throughout the day, unless I tilt the motor up. If I tilt it up and shut it down, it seems to refuse to crank, even when choked. Someone mentioned that it may be flooding itself out, and was wondering if any one had ideas on why or how to resolve this. It's not fun to get to the boat ramp dock, and not be able to get out of other's people's way due to the motor not starting.:confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner Flooding?

The carbs can empty when the motor is tilted. You might take off the cowling and airbox and see what is happening. Do you prime the motor after tilting it down?

BTW - That motor likely has a vapor seperator. If so, when you prime the motor, you are filling the vapor seperator with gasoline, but not the carbs. it will take some cranking to refill the carbs, but not too much.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

do you really mean just to say the motor wont start...or it really doesnt crank over???

as in the starter isnt turning the motor

bob

Neptune181dc

Recruit

The motor turns over, just doesn't fire, almost as if it didnt have any spark. Last time, I had a buddy play with the throttle at the motor level, and was able to eventually get it to fire off. I first noticed it at the boat ramp when had to turn motor off to get trailer. Boat was running fine prior, then wouldn't fire off. Only the starter would turn trying to get it to fire.

I'll check into the vapor idea as I had not though of it. Any other ideas would be helpful. Seemed to only start this problem over the last three weeks, never had a problem prior.