Looking to increase rpms

Currently running 14.25 x 21 rapture SS 3 blade
5.7lx 1.37 ratio alpha I gen II
full load wot 4300 4400
top speed with full load 55 56 (gps) with good conditions,
With not so good conditions 4100 4300 and 52mph 54 still full load of people

With just me wot 4700 4800 on 21 pitch

Was thinking of going down to 19 pitch when loaded or for watersports

Guy at marina was suggesting a 14.25 x 20 4 blade Turbo 2+2. He says on the turbos for what ever reason they run more like a 3 blade 19 giving holeshot but retaining top speed.

This is something I haven't heard on a four blade. Usually they increase holeshot but have more drag on the top end...I have also heard when going from 3 to 4 blades, drop down 1 degree in pitch...he agreed with me except for with this brand...

Has anyone else tried these props to confirm? What are your thoughts?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: turbo 2+2

It's not unusual with todays 4 blade props to actually gain speed over a 3 blade on some boats. Depends a lot on boat design and prop design.

BTW - pitch is measured in inches, not degrees.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Stopped at another marinara on my way into work and he handed me a 19 pitch high five to try out. told me just bring it back sometime next week! Wow what a nice guy!

So why not try this out...got nothing to loose!

What should I expect with a 5 blade?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Run it and let us know! Test drive is ALWAYS the best...

I'm baffled by your current performance stats in your first post. You state you are currently running a 14.25 x 19 Rapture

And later you state you are thinking of going down to a 19 pitch??? Based on what you are currently running, you already have a 19 pitch...right?

You also state:
4300 4400 with 19 pitch

And later you state:
4700 4800 with 21 pitch

I don't get that...those numbers are very contradictory...your 19 should be spinning faster than your 21. So overall I'm not sure what kind of prop you are running, or what your RPMS are with each prop...so it's very hard to make recommendations of what you should run.

BUT....given your second post, I say to heck with seeking internet advice. If you can get test drives and prop exchanges from your local marina, RUN EM! Pick what works best for you and buy it....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Take a close look at the turbo and the high five...Things to look for is the size of the blade....the rake of the blade and the cupping on the blade edge. I think you will find the high five has smaller blades....less rake and cupping...All the things that makes the Turbo shine on I/O's..

Your numbers are a bit skewed...So as to pitch it is hard to determine...A 20p 4 blade turbo will act like a aggressive 21p 3 blade ss. And there is no substitution for a marinia that is setup to give you live demo's such as you have...Consider yourself luckly

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Wow there were alot of typos in there....updating from mobile phone not so easy.

I went back and corrected it - currently running 21 and listed numbers with load and just by myself.

Sorry for the confusion

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Take a close look at the turbo and the high five...Things to look for is the size of the blade....the rake of the blade and the cupping on the blade edge. I think you will find the high five has smaller blades....less rake and cupping...All the things that makes the Turbo shine

That's what I am seeing now looking at the five. Small surface area and definitely not as much cupping as my rapture. My first thought was going to be simple...replace the 21 rapture with a 19 rapture as it is fairly aggressive. The Turbo 2+2 four blade came to mind at the first marina based on his recomendation (he also has the 19 rapture there so not like he was just trying to sell me what he has).

Still have the question...20 pitch 4 blade would be similar to an aggressive 3 blade right? Or is he correct by saying that turbo's in particular are not like that? Or even more was he just looking to help my holeshot and keep top end (which that four will do at that pitch)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Looking to increase rpms

full load wot 4300 4400
top speed with full load 55 56 (gps) with good conditions,
With not so good conditions 4100 4300 and 52mph 54 still full load of people

With just me wot 4700 4800 on 21 pitch

Was thinking of going down to 19 pitch when loaded or for watersports

Guy at marina was suggesting a 14.25 x 20 4 blade Turbo 2+2. He says on the turbos for what ever reason they run more like a 3 blade 19 giving holeshot but retaining top speed.

This is something I haven't heard on a four blade. Usually they increase holeshot but have more drag on the top end...I have also heard when going from 3 to 4 blades, drop down 1 degree in pitch...he agreed with me except for with this brand...

Has anyone else tried these props to confirm? What are your thoughts?

full load wot 4300 4400

If you want to run @ 4800 with a load the a 18p Stilletto bay pro 2 in a four blade should get you there...A 20 will only duplicate the numbers you already have with more midrange pop maybe it is more agressively cupped than the rapture.

Stilletto or Turbo are the same prop from the same mfg...Turbos you can exchange and Stillettos you cannot.....UMM thats a opinion on the same quality for the record..You will lose some top end with the 4 blade but from 20-50 it will pull very hard.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

got out on the water today with a full load again

with 21 pitch rapture, same as before
after a little swimming for the kids and a prop change for me, got to try out the hight five

rpms 4700 4800 and the motor sounded more healthy. could really hear the quadra jet carb drinking the fuel! you got to pay to play right?

hole shot greatly improved, even when just bumping the gas a little in gear you can really tell the difference. major improvement in responsiveness throughout rpms. pulls very hard throughout mph

lost about 5 mph on top end. i expected a few but not that much.

did i loose that much because of going to 19 pitch or because of the high five and diameter loss? i have read that 5 blade props have a great hole shot but drag alot at top end.

i next want to try the turbo 2+2 in an 18 and a rapture 3 blade in a 19

will either of these give me a similar hole shot to the high five without loosing as much on the top?