new member, just picked this up.

Talen

Cadet
25kq2qg.jpg

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new member, just picked this up.

Congratulations and welcome. What is the story?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Koool boat man ! Looks like it would be a fun ride ! nice........

Talen

Cadet

16ft trihull cc yamaha 50 3 cyl, bimini, finder/cb radio, picked her up for 2500. Good?

MarkySparky

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, all!
Just a quick intro here:) I'm Mark and I've been around boats a little since I spent 21 years active and reserve in the US Navy. I was a Seabee Construction Electrician, and spent my active time with Construction Battalions 5 and 62, and my reserve time with Naval Coastal Warfare. Got to play with a few nice boats, some little, some big. Also am an experienced mechanic (mainly automotive, and military trucks and humvees, so I love doing all my own repair work. You know, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none ;) . Currently a high voltage power station electrician, as well as occasional ham radio operator.

I am going to pick up my first real boat to call my own tomorrow. Its a 1988 Chris-Craft 205 BR Limited . Some TLC required,(yes, I read the funny posts about craigslist "TLC") but shouldn't be any major issues other than a possible cracked 4.3L engine. (piece of cake to fix that!) Looking forward to a little grease under the fingernails! I'm glad to find others who also enjoy tinkering with boats and stuff!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hijacking someone else's thread is bad manners, MS. Please start your own thread.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talen,
Nice looking rig. Usable for fishing, tubing, almost anything you want to do. Also a very
stable hull, so if you're taking a family out, it'll be great!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

looks like a copy of the carolina skiff, which is extremely popular among experienced boaters, for good reason. I would suspect that the "tri hull" aspect is not very pronounced, more like the whaler design than a true tri-hull. You have a very good and versitile set up, one of the best for general family use as well as fishing.

Talen

Cadet

Thanks everyone we took it out yesterday and it was a blast. Cant wait to get some serious fishing in!

Talen

Cadet

What's the farthest out anyone has gone on a bout like this?

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iBoats! Looks like a nice boat! Hope you get lots of chances to take her out and enjoy!!

Keepi time

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great boat Talet! Have one similar and am also curious how far someone would take this kind of boat out. I have done some trolling just off the beach in my 17ft cc. Scared to go much further though. Yours is self bailing so shouldn't be a huge deal. Happy boating! and fishing of course.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

now that's a loaded question. I'm sure 20-40 miles. That doesn't mean they should have, and it certainly means you shouldn't!

How safe and seaworthy a boat is, is largely driven by the skills and experience of the captain. However, yours appears to be a very seaworthy design and from what I can see, I'd have a lot of confidence in its ability. With me driving.

Whether a boat "made it" in any distance or condition doesn't mean it wasn't uncomfortable or even dangerous. With that boat, I'd focus on inshore use.

"farthest out" isn't really a test, either, unless you are just talking about fuel range. Sometimes the ocean is rougher near shore. An ocean inlet is way more treacherous than open sea. A shallow bay can be rougher than the ocean. A fast running current opposite wind is harder to handle than the same wind on open water.

Talk to your local fishermen about where and when to go. Have other boaters nearby as you explore. Look for some local fishing forums on line.

Talen

Cadet

Thanks home cooking and the others for the responses...owe wanna catch some snapper and so we are waiting for good conditions to take it to a local reef which is 5 miles out. Not too far. I'll report back with the outcome!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

5 miles is no problem if you go out in good conditions; you can make it home if it changes since it's not that far. Keep an eye on the weather and the wave tops.