cost to repair seal at ujoint

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Since I have not had any time to do a single thing lately,I have decided to let my mechanic replace the seal in my alpha one drive.I had some gear lube in the shaft bellows when I removed the drive.I really wanted to try it myself but I just dont have the time and I want to be sure to get it to my mechanic in his slow season.What do you guys think is a fair price to drop off the upper to him and have the seal by the ujoints done??Charlie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: cost to repair seal at ujoint

Figure an hours worth of labor plus any parts.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Charlie, I agree with Don S. on the time.<br /><br />It is likely the seal, O-ring and yoke need to be replaced(~$100 in parts). The Mechanic will also need to remove the universal joint from the yoke. I did this work for the first time, and it took less than three hours. If I was to do the job again, and had the special spanner, it would be much faster!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Im going with Don. If its only the seal. a grooved yoke will need replacement though.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys.I was thinking it was about a $150-200 job.I had him do my other drive a few years back and I seem to remember paying him around $280.I thought it may have been a bit steep.Charlie

merc200

Seaman

I paid $375 for our alpha I to be completely resealed. They had to machine the yoke shaft because it had a groove wore in it. I thought it was a fair price.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merc 200 just wondering why they machined the yoke & didnt replace it ? $$ must be the same yokes only a 100 bucks time must be the same.<br /> I've always replaced the yoke when doing the seal as it seems both volvo & merc have very soft material now and its always grooved.<br />Whats everyone else do with this seal?