MC-1 leaking lube from weep hole.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last year the shop that resealed, did a pressure test and it held for a day. It is magically leaking lube oil again out the weep hole on the lower unit whenever it feels like it. There is no rhyme or reason to this.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: MC-1 leaking lube from weep hole.

There is no rhyme or reason to this.

sure is, one of your seals is leaking

just because you had the drive resealed doesn't mean whoever did it did a good job, or used quality parts

Pete104

Lieutenant

The shift shaft seal WILL leak & the oil will be seen at the weep hole! Especially if the drive sits in the or a heat source. The oil expands & forces itself out the lips that face out.
However, there times that seal pushes out of the bushing. If the seal holds pressure & is in place, the drive is to full.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, that sounds logical, could this problem also be a fault with the lower water pump housing?

Secondly can the shift shaft seal be changed without special tools?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

there is a special tool for removing/installing the seal bushing on MC-1/alpha one drives

best to pressure test the drive to ensure this is the faulty seal - it usually is the first to fail but better to know for sure

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Ive been chasing gear lube leaks this summer as well. Holds pressure , but leaks after I use the boat...sometimes. I would agree with Pete, about it leaking more after the sun bakes on it for awhile.. My 1st leak this summer was the oil seals in the water pump base. You may want to split the drive. Block the little hole where the quad ring goes, with a plug or something. Put pressure on each half. spray a little soapy water on the various components. Thats how I found my 1st leak a month ago to be water pump base. Bubbles coming up around the drive shaft, at the water pump, pretty easy fix. You can buy a base assem for something like $25, if thats it. Todays repair is the upper unit oil seals.. As its leaking again from the upper. The original drive shaft oil seals have held since 86. this summer they all crapped out. When it rains.....
Edit BTW if its the water pump seal, you will probably have oil leaking out of the water intakes as well [I did any how ].. If its leaking via the shift shaft seal. or upper unit oil seals, [ not the big ujoint assem seal, that would put gear lube into your u joint bellows] it might just leak out of the weep hole, possibly the prop hub.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was the shift shaft bushing / seal. The shop changed it in about 5 minutes.