Mark Twain Gel/paint severly cracked ?

CichlidLips

Recruit
004.jpg002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg

So, what do you think? Is this able to be repaired? We wanted to do it ourselves, but are finding that we may be in over our heads. Please give opinions and feel free to ask questions. Not too sure about the date of the boat. Brought it off of a guy who had it in his field for a while. We know it is a 1970ish Mark Twain 16 ft. runabout. Thank you for your time.

CichlidLips

Recruit
Re: Mark Twain Gel/paint severly cracked ?

This cracking runs from bow to stern with the most heavily cracked gel coat under the waterline. The texture reminds me of shattered tempered glass. I have searched the forums and have not seen a hull like this. Any advice would be most appreciative. Thank you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO that is NOT something you would want to take on unless you are prepared to grind the entire boat, topcap and hull down to bare good glass and Re-Gelcoat EVERYTHING!!!!. The Time and Cost of doing that would not be worth it unless there was some GREAT sentimental value which I don't think there is. That's my opinion but others may chime in.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is absolutely the worst I've ever seen. I'd scrap it. Seriously.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

bump up ..

Id like to see ..

YD.

PS. at risk of offeding anyone..bumb ..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That is one of the worst cases of crazing I've ever seen, it looks like the gel coat cure was poor, most likely from either being over or under catalyzed. There's not much you can do but grind it all off and re-do it, which is pricy. That is unless you like this look, then it?s not an issue.