What have I done... why is their gear oil coming out of everywhere? HELP!

Guys and Gals I need some help... or a bullet to put my out of my misery. I'm that "new to boats" guy. Who has likely gotten himself in over his head (please no one say that too loud as I really don't want to admit this to my girlfriend...)

I took of my lower unit to replace the impeller. After taking it off, it was apparent that I needed to replace the housing too. The entire pump. So I order the parts and replaced it (looks like this one http://www.sterndrive.info/sterndriveparts/lower_gearcase.html).

I then put the lower unit back on and bolted it down and started the process of putting gear oil back into the lower unit. I pumped and pumped... I waited to see oil coming out of the top hole (I youtubed this procedure).. but what I found was gear oil coming out of the prop... as well as the front of the lower unit where it meets the upper. I have attached some images. In my head I think it's clear that I'm pumping in gear oil and it's supposed to travel up to this vent, but I simply cannot see, at all how the fluid can make it's way up there. Further more, the diagram for this lower unit doesn't show a tube or a cavity that would make it travel up there.

I am seriously out of my element. Any help would be appreciated. Is it really just a closed system and I just put too much in? In my head I simply picture it making it's way around the water pumps large o-ring. It just seems like a closed system that wouldn't go to the upper! :mad::confused::facepalm:

-Jason

7-13-2011 11-37-58 PM.jpg7-13-2011 11-36-33 PM.jpg

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What have I done... why is their gear oil coming out of everywhere? HELP!

There is a small o-ring (more like an x-ring if you will) that seals the oil passage between the upper and lower gearcases: did you replace that seal or make sure one was there ? Without it, you are looking at a major drive failure if you run it. I dont see the seal in your parts diagram, but all service manuals mention this important seal.

Look at this diagram- I believe it is part #7 Seal. It might be a different part number depending on your Gen / year of your Alpha / MR drive, but the location and principle is the same across years.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809759 98&ivar=images/COMMON/5069.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=140&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING%28DRIVESHAFT%29%28STANDARD+ROTATION%29

In the link you posted, it is part #32

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

The reason you see it coming out at the prop is that it is running down through the area where the exhaust travels down through the lower and out the prop. Same leak exiting 2 places. Take the lower back off and study it closely especially that seal joncrisler's talking about. I have confidence you'll figure it out. Not that much to them. See if you can find out how much oil they take then you will know when to expect for it to start coming out the top hole.

Here's the Quad Ring noted in the pic. below

See the hollow section in the middle of the lower, just to the left of the impeller housing? That runs right down to the prop area.

Attachments

• quad o-ring noted.JPG
    quad o-ring noted.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1

Ahh ha! THAT hole! Thanks a lot, this forum is great.:eek:

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And don't you worry.........MANY of us have forgot that ring, many will never admit it either.......

I didn;t even know it existed, and just left the old one on. Later that season I got nervous and pulled it a 2nd time and replaced. It was fine though, so it was all for nothing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A little trick I learned being a marine tech, any time you work on a drive, rather to JUST change the impeller, or resealing the complete drive is to ALWAYS do a pressure check after the repairs. Then you know there are no leaks, or something else failed, or you forgot something.

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh ha! THAT hole! Thanks a lot, this forum is great.:eek:

Be thankful this did not happen out on the water- not only would you be paying for a tow, you would also need the outdrive replaced :). Also make sure you refill the drive following proper procedures (fill from bottom until oil comes out on top).

So another question related to my saga... When I was pulling off the lower again to put in that seal, there was part of a "mystery" gasket in the grease. Based on the fact that the grease was on top of the vertical shaft, it makes me think that either A, a seal that is actually from the upper.. or B, a seal that was on the shaft that broke before and I didn't notice it. I swear there was no o-rings or anything north on the shaft. I do, however, show a wear ring on the upper part of the shaft. So something must have been there at some time.

I had to get a whole new kit of gaskets for the lower to get that one piece I needed. In my new attached pictures I have the broken gasket as well as some other pieces to reference size. I'm wondering if I broke maybe one of these two? Are they even accessible from the bottom of the upper?

# 85020 Oil seal - driven gear

OR

# 85060 Oil seal - vertical drive shaft

I am hoping that this particular mystery can be solved as well. Who would have known this was going to be such an adventure... :mad::facepalm::confused:

I was hoping to be able to put all this back together tonight, but I certainly don't have a gasket that looks like that in the kit I got today.

IMAG0941.jpgIMAG0940.jpgIMAG0942.jpgIMAG0939.jpgIMAG0938.jpg

bucknutjoe

Seaman

So another question related to my saga... When I was pulling off the lower again to put in that seal, there was part of a "mystery" gasket in the grease. Based on the fact that the grease was on top of the vertical shaft, it makes me think that either A, a seal that is actually from the upper.. or B, a seal that was on the shaft that broke before and I didn't notice it. I swear there was no o-rings or anything north on the shaft. I do, however, show a wear ring on the upper part of the shaft. So something must have been there at some time.

I had to get a whole new kit of gaskets for the lower to get that one piece I needed. In my new attached pictures I have the broken gasket as well as some other pieces to reference size. I'm wondering if I broke maybe one of these two? Are they even accessible from the bottom of the upper?

# 85020 Oil seal - driven gear

OR

# 85060 Oil seal - vertical drive shaft

I am hoping that this particular mystery can be solved as well. Who would have known this was going to be such an adventure... :mad::facepalm::confused:

I was hoping to be able to put all this back together tonight, but I certainly don't have a gasket that looks like that in the kit I got today.

View attachment 103023View attachment 103024View attachment 103025View attachment 103026View attachment 103027

Hahaha! As a fellow "new to boats guy," I think I speak for the entire forum when I say this, "We all knew!" But this IS half the fun of boating right? Please help me keep myself convinced that the satisfaction of finally fixing a problem, that ran us through 8 other issues during the fix, is fun and not the hassle and aggrivation my wife seems to get from it :)

Don S

Looks like the piece you found is part of the seals in the upper.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0940 copy.jpg
    IMAG0940 copy.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The hunk of oring you can discard, look up the hole in the upper and pull the remaining broken oring out and discard. Leave the o-ring off. Newer drives do not have their shafts cut. This caused more problems than it solved so merc eliminated it.

So, just so I understand. The piece that I found looks like it's from the upper and I don't really need it? I do, however, need to remove the rest of it? That o-ring at the bottom I don't need either?

Have I mentioned that I think this forum is the best! :D

Don S

So, just so I understand. The piece that I found looks like it's from the upper and I don't really need it?

No, you need it alright. You have to disassemble the upper and install BOTH seals in that area.
What year is this drive? Do you have the OEM service manual?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

The piece that I found looks like it's from the upper and I don't really need it?

you DO need it

it is part of one of the driveshat seals in the upper half of your drive

split the drive and look where the lower driveshaft enters the upper housing and you will see where the seal is supposed to go

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Hey I am just gettn ready to replace the ... upper and lower drive shaft housing oil seals... They are back to back almost, in the upper unit .. The lower one that seams to have disintegrated [on yours] is, FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND designed to keep water out, I believe its very doable to replace that lower oil seal just by prying out the old one and tapping in a new one. The upper, just above that one. Is designed to keep gear lube in. The u joint assem has to come out, along with the upper bearing assembly to replace that one. You have to remove the big retaining nut pull out the u joint assm , take off the top cover and out comes the upper bearing assem If you wanna read what I am about to get into, As you may have too as well, ya might wanna read my thread from earlier this week on .... How hard is it to change upper and lower drive shaft housing oil seals. ? I think I got it figured out, There are some help full comments from, some of the knowledgeable ones. Good luck to ya.... I mean US !

That o ring at the bottom was probably in the groove at the top of the shaft originally.. But now just reading some responses to your thread, I am wondering if ya dont even bother putting that o ring on any more ? Anybody??? If ya got the groove I would assume you still want the o ring there ??? Or not ??? The big foam one on the bottom of the shaft is the slinger, ya want that

Don S

Paul, if you have questions, feel free to start a thread of your own and ask questions. This is adrenaline1073 thread, please don't confuse it with your questions too.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Paul, if you have questions, feel free to start a thread of your own and ask questions. This is adrenaline1073 thread, please don't confuse it with your questions too.

Copy that Don, It just sounded like he was having the same seal issue as myself. Sorry 4 the hi jack, My bad ..........

I'm baaaack :) More questions. My attached photo shows looking up the upper (as Im sure most of you noticed in about an 1/8th of a second.) I have ordered some more seals. From the photos' of what this seal looks like, it look like rubber with a spring in it. I am even more confident of that since I found a springy looking jumbled mess up that hole too ;). Anyway, I wondered when I do install this when it comes, will I be able to do it from the bottom? (keep in mind I will cry like a child if I hear otherwise.) I wanna get this thing in the water!!! Looking for some advanced helpful hints so when it gets here, I don't spend too much time figuring out how to do it. I figure that metal piece is either what holds the seal IN or is actually part of the seal and will have to come out too. As always, thanks a million in advance!

7-20-2011 9-13-38 PM.jpg

Jason 641

Seaman

Yes, you have to pull the metal out with it. You will see when you get the new seal that the metal part presses into the housing, the rubber is attached to the metal ring and the "spring" is attached to the rubber to hold it tight to the shaft. Make sure you press the new seal in nice and even, they make a special tool for it but you should be able to find a socket that fits it good. Just dont bend it when putting it in or you will have to order a new one.