1966 Sea King 3.5

Chuck in Texas

Recruit
rescue mission.jpg
Sooo, this is the 4th old motor I've undertaken to rehab back to life. The first 3 went well - at least they start and run reliably.
I may have met my match with this old Sea King 3.5.
It was lawn art for a number of years.
Model VWB19069A
Ser 66X13065A
My research tells me it a post Gale model... Chrysler or Force (though it is stamped Wico Electric Company under the flywheel as well as on the condenser)
However gently pulling the rope reveals some compression and a reasonable thump thump so I am optimistic.
The cork gasket for the glass sight bowl is shot, as well as the cork gasket around the perimeter where the gas tank rests on the block. These I can make.
Curiously, the 3 drilled holes in the flywheel, that I have used with a harmonic balancer puller to pop off previous flywheels, are not threaded; they're just smooth holes. So, instead of a 3 jaw puller (always a no no, though there isn't enough room between the bottom edge of the flywheel and the frame to use one anyway) I took a handful of wood shims and tapped some in under the flywheel at 3 different areas. Some judicious tapping on the flywheel and some pb blaster in the spindle hole and voila off came the flywheel.
Points were filled with mud dopper nests. Coil looks ancient. Condenser has an interesting twin wire arrangement, one of which is a bare wire. Points barely move so they are obviously not set right.
So, I am too cheap to buy a parts or service manual, and too cheap to invest much in parts for a motor that may or may not ever start.
I found a coil for it online from Pete's Marine... for $90! If this is what I should expect for the other rehab parts I will pitch this thing in the lake.
I presume it has an impeller, though there is no hole on the leg for the outlet, just a little mesh area. Air-cooled?
I am willing to clean up the carb, replace the 6 in. fuel line, set the points (gap?), replace the plug (.030 gap?), fill it with some 24:1 mix and start yanking.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially on parts sources, plug and points gaps, online parts manuals with diagrams, and hand-blister remedies.

Thanks for the advice. I owe all my earlier successes to online forums like this one.
btw, the pic is me rescuing a 35' SeaRay that had floated out of its slip, with my 1950 Lone Star Commander 15', and '85 Eska 5hp one banger.
Thanks!

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 Sea King 3.5

magneto breaker point gap is .020 in, as far as the plug i don't have that number, good luck