OK what am I doing wrong? - lower unit removal

Britcheflee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still struggling away with trying to get the bottom part of the lower unit off to get to impeller - This is on my 1968 6hp fisherman. Today I managed to get a screwdriver in the small gap I have at the bottom and remove the screw on that rod inside - however, I noticed another one just above the one i managed to remove - do both of these need to come out to allow the bottom part to drop down? Now I need to get it off for sure as the first of the screws/bolts dropped down into the lower section inside! :mad:
Advice would be much appreciated.

Lee

kfa4303

Banned
Re: OK what am I doing wrong? - lower unit removal

hi Britcheflee. No you don't/shouldn't remove the upper bolt in the shift rod connector. You only need to remove the lower one. If you have all of the bolts that hold the LU to the exhaust housing, then everything should be disconnected. You may need to give it a few love taps to loosen the drive shaft from the power head. It can get stuck in there if/when it gets corroded. You may need to invert motor and let a little penetrating oil run down the drive shaft to help free it up. The LU should come off with the drive shaft and the lower shift rod. There will be a copper water uptake tube which should stay up in the exhaust housing. Here are some handy links. Good luck.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index7.htm

AlTn

Commander
Re: OK what am I doing wrong? - lower unit removal

google..leeroy's ramblings...outboard motor articles/repair..6 hp....dropping the lower unit is a little different on the 6 as you have to align a cross pin with a slot before the l/u will drop down...remember or sketch the pin orientation when the l/u slides off and don't spin the flywheel while the lu is off...this will make it easier to reinsert if the orientation is correct to begin with