Volvo aq125a stuttering and stalling out.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '85 bayliner capri with a volvo aq125a /270 penta.

Sometimes when at idle and I hit the throttle, the motor will sputter and not rev up, and often even die completely.

I can usually manage to either feather the throttle or just punch it and go to get the rpms up. Over 2000 rpms there is no problem at all with sputtering and I can punch it and let off repeatedly without issue.

The problem has existed since I bought the boat, but I have since rebuilt the carb. The accelerator pump is working and all the orifices are nice and clean. I did not adjust the float, nor check its position even, as the sierra kit included no paperwork or specs for setting anything.

I've also checked the centrifical advance plates to make sure they were not rusted up or siezed in any way. I have good gas and a water separator.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I didn't think the float could do it but maybe its allowing the carb to flood?

Glastron175

Seaman
Re: Volvo aq125a stuttering and stalling out.

Do you have a 2 barrel Holley carb? If so, adjust the float by holding the carb upside down and adjust the float to be parallel to the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

This motor has a single barrel down draft solex carb. Thanks for the suggestion, but I figured it out!

So... It was the accelerator pump after all. Although it was working and squirting like it should, it wasn't doing it early enough. I had the adjustment nut and set nut backed all the way up (making the throw short) but it still wasn't short enough. I had to eliminate the set/locking nut and backed out the adjustment nut to the very tip of the rod, actually about 1.5 threads from the tip was best. Now it works great. I put a little spot of threadlock to keep the adjustment nut from moving around and called it good!

For me, it really helped to just unhook the throttle linkage so that I could manipulate the carb at the carb by hand. It was then that I could see the delay between opening the throttle and the squirt of gas, it was much more difficult from the helm and the nuetral safety keeps you from being able to move the throttle at the carb.

Dream Weaver

Cadet

I have the same engine and out drive in my 83 bayliner and had the exact same problem. After looking everything over I found that my exhaust bellow was torn and the rubber exhaust manifold coupler was also torn. I replaced them both and the hesitating / stalling was gone. I haven't had the problem since. All I can suggest is just check everything; not all drive-ability problems are fuel related.

Drew09

Recruit

i also am having the same issue... idles great, trolls good...When i give it some real throttle it'll totally just stall on me. Cleaned out the Carburator right out.. mine is 83 Bayliner. same series too.. Tested it at home and it worked just great, hooked up the hoes to it. Was fine and dandy... Then launched it into the water, we throttle it and it's back to where we started. Any Suggestions of what could be causing the issue?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drew09, welcome to iboats.

Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.
1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

Thank You for your cooperation