Max capacity on trailer tires?

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I have a 14.5ft fiberglass boat with an 80hp Merc ( approx 235lbs). I am not what the total weight of my boat is. My concern is that my tires are rated for 780lbs a side, how can I determine if these tires will be too small for my boat trailer? I was thinking of upgrading to the bigger tire which is rated for around 1000lbs a side. Pls help thanks

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Max capacity on trailer tires?

You need to take into account all the gear, gas, boat, motor, and trailer weight when considering changing out your tires. You also have to know the weight rating of the trailer axle before deciding. Best bet is spend the $5-10 and take it all to a local weigh station to see what your setup actually weighs for a typical outing and go from there. Any responses here based on the limited info provided would be just a S.W.A.G.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just installing larger tires does not make the trailer safer. If you install tires with a combined capacity of 2000# on a trailer with an axle that is rated for 1500# you still have a 1500# trailer. YOu cannot make the safety determination until you weight the rig.

I'm not saying to do this, but I have a sinle axe trailer rated at 2500# and have been hauling a boat well over 4500# when loaded up with gear and, fuel and the days catch. At first I was skeptical of the whole thing, but after about 50 trips to and from the boat ramp this year. I have the utmost confidence in the fact that most trailers are rated well below their weight capibilties.

Not to mention I have to drive the damn thing over cobble stone streets to get to and from the boat ramp both ways..

Hopefully I can ease some of your minds when cutting the weight close to your trailers rating. I wouldn't do what I'm doing, but if you are in a bind it should be o.k. to stretch that number, given the axel, leaf springs and tires are in good shape.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nearly doubling the load capacity of a trailer should not even be considered and whether an accident was your fault or not, the legal system will run you through the ringer. That is simply economic suicide.