Tohatsu 9.9 2-stroke

bonino

Recruit
Hello,

I own a Tohatsu 9.9 2-stroke engine with manual start. On the last weeks the engine started to fail and no one seems to have a solution for it:

- The first time I start the engine I do all the recommended tasks (e.g. set the choke to full if the air temperature is low, adjust throttle to start position, etc.) and the engine starts as expected;
- Then I use it for 15 minutes, since it's the time I need to take my sailboat out of the marina and raise the sails. After that I stop the engine. If I try to start it immediatly after stopping it, I have no problem (I assume that's because the engine is still hot);
- A few hours later, when I try to start the engine again it fails... Sometimes I have to pull the manual starter chord 50 or 60 times before the engine starts...
- One or two days after stopping the engine, if I try to start it again everything is fine...

Have you ever experienced such situation? Can you give some hints to solve the problem?

I already took the engine to a mechanic but the only thing he did was adjusting the carb...

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 9.9 2-stroke

If engine starts/runs well and need to re start engine hours after it has run specially in cold temperatures, will need to pull choke again and place throttle grip at start position, follow same procedure as when first cold start, no need to prime bulb again. My horse does the same when has come to a stop for hours in cold water & cold foggy day, usually re starts at second pull...try, let us know.

Happy Boating