Looking at 1976 16' Starcraft??????

Trevordog

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a project boat and stumbled across this add, "1976 16' aluinimin boat, boat is a project boat, floors need replacing , motor needs work , center console steering, could be a wonderful fishing boat with some work". Guy said the hull is in good condition, just needs work on inside. It has a 35 hp ob that turns over, but doesn't start. He was looking for $500 OBO. Going to look at it on Friday. Just wondering if there is anything special I should be looking for. I am new to old boat restoration. I have owned a few newer boats. Thanks for the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking at 1976 16' Starcraft??????

Pretty tough to go wrong with a 16' aluminum Starcraft with a motor (even if it ends up being parted out) for $500 unless thing thing has giant holes in it. Go for it!

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking at 1976 16' Starcraft??????

Trevor,

Welcome! Careful to plan within your boating budget. If you are ultimately planning to spend X and after you subtract the $500.00 for this boat do you have enough left to repair / restore it and potentially repower? I found out hard that the repowering is by far the most expensive part of boating!

Just my .02 cents

That being said, starcrafts restore well and really hold up and are sharp boats!

Chuck