water pump housing to plate sealer

the k-man

Cadet
I received my oem water pump kit for my 1969 85hp evinrude. I have read some posts saying to use a sealant on the seal and some dont. I only have the seloc manual and it mentions to uses a "suitable sealant" any particular brands?

the sticky on the topic ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309188 )uses a sealant, can i use auto sealant or is there a special variety for this application?

or is just using the rubber seal sufficient?

also you are suppose to put a little grease in the impeller housing, i realize this will get washed out so does anything work? or are there suggestions for a type of grease to use.

so to sum it up any recommended sealants for the water housing to water pump plate?
thanks

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: water pump housing to plate sealer

The proper sealant is 3M #847 sealant. It will not hurt any impeller parts if some goes astray and makes a great seal between plastic and metal parts. The sealer is just to give a little more pressure by eliminating the small leaks that exist in those spots. That being said, we are talking about very small leaks and having water on the outside of the pump will not cause any problems and I would imagine your cooling would probably be just fine putting it on dry. Many people do.

As for the impeller lubricant. I use a little grease on the fins, housing and plate. Others use a small amount of dish soap. All you want is to give it some initial lubricant while you are pushing down the housing over the impeller and probably turning it a few times to make sure it works. In use the water will provide all the lubricant it needs.