Merc 5.0L V8 Alpha One Engine Question

djwink85

Recruit
Hello everyone. New member here from Chicago.

I have a question regarding the engine block on a 1989 Mercrusier 5.0L V8 Alpha One. Boat was givin to me by a family friend, it's in great shape for being 22 years old, and the engine ran great...after replacing the ignition coil and it started right up...When I discovered the bigger problem....

I noticed a bit of water (I had the rabbit ears on) spraying from a crack in the right exhaust manifold(I was told this could be welded) and then realized water almost pouring out toward the bottom of the engine around the block. I stopped the engine and discoverd a big crack in the block. Is this where the water can be coming from? There was a lot coming in.

I was told that the owner ran the boat last year and did not drain it so I'm assumng it froze and thats where the cracks came from.

My question now, would be what to do???

I realize a cracked block is pretty much a death sentence to the engine but I paid NOTHING for the boat and trailer. It's a 21' open bow Arriva and as I said, it's in great shape and I was supprised how well it ran when I got it started.

I'd be willing to spend some money to get it fixed so I just wanted to see what the best option was and get some opinions from some pros on here as well.

Thank you in advance for all your info.

Matt

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 Merc 5.0L V8 Alpha One Block Question

I'd be willing to spend some money to get it fixed so I just wanted to see what the best option was and get some opinions from some pros on here as well.

Ayuh,.... Buy an 87 to 96 reman'ed long block with tin, 'n a set of exhaust mainfolds,...
Then put it together with the rest of the stuff off the cracked motor...

djwink85

Recruit

Where can I look to get rebuilt block? I plan on running in freshwater...Could I use a block from a vehicle? What about the cams. How hard would it be to replace the block?