1986 Suzuki DT115 power trim

sttopr1

Cadet
I have a 1986 Suzuki DT115 and when the engine is raised it will gradually come down. There are no visible leaks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sttopr1

Cadet
Re: 1986 Suzuki DT115 power trim

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive with the problem. This was happening in both trim stages. While cruising, I would trim it up and the motor would gradually lower, all the way in about 10 seconds. While raising for trailering, it was lowering so quickly I would have to run to the back of the boat to lower the motor support. I spoke with Brownspoint and they suggested the manual release valve since it was lowering in both trim stages. I was hoping that would work since it was less than 100.00 for a new manual release valve and a new pump/valve assembly I have seen for around 1,500.00 or more. Fortunatley, I installed the new manual release valve and all is well. Kudos to Brownspoint for taking the time to understand the problem and walking me through the install process. I am an electrcian not a boat mechanic but as they said, it was an easy change out and it seemed to fix the problem.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting, my DT150 has done the same thing (although slower) for years. Also no visible signs of leaking. I'm familiar with the manual release valve but didn't know it could be a culprit. What was the replacement procedure?

Thanks,
Jeff

sttopr1

Cadet

For my motor the kit came with the main valve part, two o rings type washers and one solid.
1. Lower the motor all the way down.
2. Remove the main valve part.
3. Remove the o rings and solid washer (a tooth pick worked good for this)
4. Install the new o rings and solid washer. o ring, solid washer, and then o ring.
5. Install the main valve part.

Very easy to do. We are taking a trip soon with the boat and I was reluctant to do this as I didnt want to make my problem worse. But curiosity prevailed and fortunatley it fixed the problem. If you didnt already know Brownspoint has a lot of info:

http://store.brownspoint.com/microfiche.asp