Newly acquired boat

dtmike

Recruit
HI. I just recently purchased a Duratech boat from craigslist. It was listed as a 1957, 15 ft. I am new to boats and boating so I thought this would be a good boat for me to start with and fix up. This model appears to be sold as part of a Montgomery Ward Sea King package. The trailer and motor both have sea king branding. The motor was made by Gale (25 HP) and according to the serial and model number I gathered it was from 1960. This part slightly confuses me because the dates are different so I am not exactly sure what model I have. The serial number for the boat is 17928. The plate does not have a model number and does not appear to be scratched off or tampered with, just left blank. My guess is that it has something to do with Wards branding of Sea King. I don?t know?

If someone could please help me identify which model this is or any other info it would be much appreciated. I would like to find out load capacity, weight of the boat and HP ratings or transom load? maybe an estimate on total towing weight? Perhaps a recommendation for the type of motor I should get for a replacement if necessary. Although the existing one runs, it will likely need a replacement or some work. I am not yet qualified to fix the motor myself, but am learning. I don?t know what type of motors will work with my steering mechanism? It is a cable pulley system. I would plan on getting one with electric start. Also, Any info I could get on trying to maintain the original parts, restore them or find authentic looking replacements would also be great. See pictures below. Thanks

Attachments

• 100_3156.jpg
    100_3156.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3163.jpg
    100_3163.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3150.jpg
    100_3150.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3165.jpg
    100_3165.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3153.jpg
    100_3153.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0

jamesgduratech

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Newly acquired boat

the ID tag on the dashboard needs to be cleaned. then it will say your model.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen other Duratechs which had tags which were not stamped with model name. I've also seen a few where the boat was dressed with features which the stamped model should not have had. So, I believe that there were times a Duratech tag was not stamped until it was dressed because the standard hull may or may be getting some features added...and so a few tags were missed somehow. These mis-stamped and un-stamped tags all seem to have been in the late 50's.

This one is positively a '57. If you can provide the measurement down the centerline (nose to center of stern) as well as the measurement down the curve of the gunwale from nose to one corner of the stern, the rest will be simple and we can provide the original specs for you.

dtmike

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. My measurements are 15' down the centerline and 15'9" from nose to corner.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have the S-167-R. Not collectible, but not many of these around - the 14 foot models sold more than 16. Due to the gunwale length, they actually considered this their 16 foot model, as also implied in the name. S = Sealine, 16 = 16 foot, 7 = 1957, and R = Runabout.

The boat has zero to do with Sea King. Just so happens that either the dealer which sold it also sold Sea King, or the original owner matched up some SK equipment for it. I've seen just about every kind of motor and trailer paired up with Duratechs.

Nice boat! She'll take the water like a champ.

I have an educated guess as to why there is no model name. In the '57 brochure, they were introducing the S-167-RD (Runabout Deluxe), which offered decking all the way down the gunwale about 6 inches wide, and also top decking across the rear above where you'd stow the battery & fuel tank. (you can see others with this decking on the DuratechBoats website in the gallery). The S-167-RD is noted that it would not be available until September of '57. So, my guess is that since they'd simply dress a boat like yours further with the remaining decking, that they'd then stamp the model name on the tag. They did not add these other features to the boat you've got, and they also did not stamp the tag. That would seem the logic with other boats as well where I've seen the model missing from the tag.

The original specs say she can take 40 hp. You'll just need to bolt on some hardware which allows you to attach the pulleys to the front of the motor; my Merc did not have this, but there was a bracket to which I was able to bolt mine on. Are the pulleys all present? If you don't know what to get, I can take a picture of mine and upload it. Mine has the cable system which I chose to not replace...I simply purchased new cable from Ace Hardware and re-strung it. I'm a Merc guy, so I put the max size Merc (1995) 2 stroke on my Duratech, she handles it very easily. As for OBC capacity, you can have people and gear up to 1,090 lbs. in this boat.

dtmike

Recruit

Thanks Joeman for all the info. That will definitely help get me started in the right direction. That part about the SeaKing stuff made sense to me also. I will post some more questions and pictures of my progress while fixing it up. Thanks again