omc engine blown?? or not!!

rtreehntr

Recruit
hello my name is Rick from pa.
after putting my boat in the water last weekend it started to fill with hot water leaving me to believe it was coming from the block. Not that I am a motor head but i talked to a few people and they told me i might have blown the soft plug in the block. I cannot see where the water is coming from. The oil looks like chocolate milk and I know that is not a good sign. Here's my questions.......Does chocolate milk oil automaticly mean it is a blown block? After looking at the motor I see that the dipstick tube is below the distributor cap, could water possibly gotten in to the tube? I plan to do a few oil changes after pulling the motor and putting it back into the water to check the oil. Is this a very hard job? I have already located a four cylinder, 3 liter OMC engine from a thundercraft boat. The engine in my boat is a four cylinder 3 liter OMC engine. My boat is an 1986 and the engine from the other boat is a 1988. Do you think it will fit in my boat? I understand that it is the same engine but it looks like a different stylle. It appears to sit higher and the carborator is in a different location. I really didn't need a new progect but myself and family love the dixie. In your honest opinion do you think it is worth the time? After replacing the soft plug, I plan to do oil changes with used oil just to clear it up. After that I will use new oil. I also plan on replacing the head gasket, pressurize the engine and an overhaul. Does anybody out there have any opinion, comments, questions or concerns.....Am I wasting my time? Do you believe my boat is worth this project? The baot the engine is coming from turns over when cranked but I have not seen it run.....The entire boat is $200.00 just to get it out of his yard!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: omc engine blown?? or not!!

Ayuh,... Yer current motor is No doubt Freeze Cracked....
Don't **** around with it,...

Drop in the replacement you found...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: omc engine blown?? or not!!

if the other engine runs, $200 is a steal... I would check compression, oil pressure and run it on a sturdy pallet or engine stand. If it runs nice, and all specs seem good, I would not recommend replacing it's head gasket or overhauling it. Just change the oil and filter. Run nice gas through it for an hour and evaluate.
p.s. THIS engine is BLOWN:
30316950004_large.jpg