New Carver owner wiring help?

jonesy1186

Cadet
Recently purchased 1977 2566 Santa Cruz. Just found this site and have learned tons allready. Lots of knowledge out there! Boat has a 351 ford with less than 50 hrs. and new aftermarket Alpha-1. Our problem lies in the wiring at the lower helm. It's a mess from previous owners adding and deleting accessories. most wires are still labeled but need a schematic to make sence of it all. Any ideas? Also, I find it strange there is no outdrive tilt at the lower helm, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Carver owner wiring help?

Hi, welcome aboard. With a boat of that age and as many modifications as you have mentioned I highly doubt that a factory wiring diagram is going to be very helpfull to you as most of the wiring has probibly been modified over the years. IMO your going to have to dig into it and trace/clean-up/modify the wiring. I know, it can look like a plate of spagetti but it is doable, just take it system by system, switch by switch. In the electrical section of this forum are some very good diagrams of how wiring should be run for most electrical needs on a boat, you should go look at them and feel free to post there with questions, we have some awsome members with an abundance of knoweldge.

Red

jonesy1186

Cadet
Re: New Carver owner wiring help?

Thanks for the info Red! I was hoping for that " magic book" with all the answers to my particular boat! Most of the wires are still tagged from factory, D1, F2, etc. We are slowly gaining on it though. Thanks again!

Steve

P.S. Great Site!