Boat is taking on water

promtg

Cadet
The problem that I am having is when on the water sometimes the automatic bilge pump kicks on and pumps out some water. It does not happen real often, but probable 2 -3 times in an afternoon of boating. What's strange to me is that when I pull the boat out of the water I never get any water out of the drain plug. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat is taking on water

'taking on water' isn't the correct term, its more accurately defined as slowly sinking...

you need to offer up more info though. What type of boat/motor, how old, what type of activity? Without those pieces of info there is no way to say what is up, other than you have water in your boat!

superbenk

Commander

Is the transom solid? Other than that, need more info about the drive type, etc.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sitting on the trailer in the driveway, if you pour some water in near the bilge pump, does it run out of the plug? If not you have a blockage somewhere. Could be leaves and gunk, or something else.

This issue is minor compared to the main problem - boats shouldn't be taking on water unless it's from wet swimmers/dogs climbing back on board. Need to find the leak and fix it properly.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

'taking on water' isn't the correct term, its more accurately defined as slowly sinking...

you need to offer up more info though. What type of boat/motor, how old, what type of activity? Without those pieces of info there is no way to say what is up, other than you have water in your boat!

This... I/O? Outboard? Year?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have any tru hull fitting check those out.
Could also be rubrail, cracks in hull or transom,bad outdrive seal if I/O, livewell if you have one.
That will get you started.

promtg

Cadet

It is a 97 Tracker Deck Boat (aluminum) with a 125 horse Mercury outboard. I am getting some water no matter what the usage is.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

It is a 97 Tracker Deck Boat (aluminum) with a 125 horse Mercury outboard. I am getting some water no matter what the usage is.

Probably a rivet leaking. Could also be a through hull fitting or livewell fitting/hose

Huron Angler

Admiral

Is the hull riveted or welded?

Tracker welded hulls are notorious for cracking if stressed. Hopefully it's not a crack near a seam.

shrew

Lieutenant

What's strange to me is that when I pull the boat out of the water I never get any water out of the drain plug. Any suggestions?

Jim

There is no way that the bilge pump is getting 100% of the water. That is impossible. If it comes on twice in an afternoon of boating that is a large amount of water coming into the boat over a relatively short period of time. You should be seeing water coming from the garbard plug when the plug is pulled.

Are you running live well's? You could wait until the boat is dry and out of the water, and try filling the bilge with water to see if you can see leaks on the outside. Try not running live well's or check all connections. Check all throughulls, etc.