Stern Drive trim rooster tail

Donzi GT250

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just noticed that with my Donzi Gt250 with OMC Cobra 350 and Cobra drive that when I am running at cruise at about 3400 rpm with the drive trimmed in I get a small rooster tail that comes up on the port side of the prop.
If I trim the engine out I get a flatter and more symmetrical rooster tail and also better performance.
I know this doesn't seem to make sense (the asymmetrical rooster tail) as i would think when trimmed in I wouldn't get any rooster tail.
Why do i get a asymmetrical rooster tail when trimmed in?
Any ideas what i am seeing?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Stern Drive trim rooster tail

I just noticed that with my Donzi Gt250 with OMC Cobra 350 and Cobra drive that when I am running at cruise at about 3400 rpm with the drive trimmed in I get a small rooster tail that comes up on the port side of the prop.
If I trim the engine out I get a flatter and more symmetrical rooster tail and also better performance.
I know this doesn't seem to make sense (the asymmetrical rooster tail) as i would think when trimmed in I wouldn't get any rooster tail.
Why do i get a asymmetrical rooster tail when trimmed in?
Any ideas what i am seeing?

Ayuh,... Is there a transducer or something in the water flow,..??

superbenk

Commander

Boat listing some when underway? Anything hanging off the transom (like bondo said)?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If trimmed in far enough, it will be pushing the bow down, and the transom up. I would guess it's a function of the prop's side thrust exiting the water. Just a guess though.

In the end, shouldn't matter as you should be running trimmed for optimal performance (which will vary depending on water conditions, load onboard, etc).