Breaking in my rebuild

sah440

Seaman Apprentice
Just rebuilt a 1982 Johnson 25hp (my first one and it turned out beautifully)

From doing a bit of research I understand that this is a good break-in procedure:

During first 10 hours of operation:
Pre and Post operation check ALWAYS
Check for fuel, oil, and water leaks
Check presence of cooling stream indicator
Vary the engine speed every 15 minutes
Allow motor to reach operating temperature ? run on idle (no throttle) for at least 5 minutes
Double the fuel/oil raito ? use 25:1 instead of 50:1

During the first 10 minutes of operation:
Operate the motor in gear at only fast idle

During the next 50 minutes:
Operate the motor in gear below 3500 rpm (1/2 throttle); use full throttle to get on plane then reduce to ? throttle; vary speed every 15 minutes

During the second hour of operation:
Operate the motor at ? throttle; use full throttle to get on plane and quickly reduce to ? throttle; vary engine speed every 15 minutes; at various intervals operate at full throttle for 1-2 minute periods the reduce to ? throttle

For next 8 hours continue to vary engine speed, avoid continuous operation at full throttle for extended periods

After 20 hours of operation perform full service; Retorque head bolts after operation when head is cool to touch

Okay so this break-in procedure takes 10 hours... Do I need to run my motor for 10 hours right off the bat continuously to break it in????? or can I break this up into a few 3 hour sessions????

Is this procedure overkill??

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Breaking in my rebuild

the motor needs to get a load slow and easy and fast and back to easy this how it works.the thing what we do so we have to have to guys doing it we tie the boat to the boat dock good and break them in this way you can check the motor for leaks at the same time and you dont need to paddle back to the dock if something goes wrong.yes you can reak it up in differant times but you dont need 10 hours for it just make shure the motor has time to warm up before you start off.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Breaking in my rebuild

It's more than I have ever done. You don't have to do it a single outing.