1993 johnson 25 hp will not stay running

kbdc8297

Recruit
i have cleaned the carb. replaced the plugs with the Q type and set them at 030. compression checked (115 each). it will run on high idle. but die on any thing lower. when putting in gear and slightly throddling up it dies. it will start on a half of the ropes length of pull. the little screw adjustment on top of the carb has no effect on the running of the motor. i can run it in fully to 3 turns out and nothing happens. the rod that connects to the cam under the flywheel also connected to the throddle handle and the little set screw on that shaft can be set any where and still dont run. i am so tired of pulling that rope and making adjustments the motor may soon be an anchor. i need very detailed help and pictures would be great. i can do the repairs but someone needs to first show me how.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1993 johnson 25 hp will not stay running

It sounds like you need to over haul the carb. If you can turn the low speed needle valve that much and have no response there is something wrong in the carb.

kbdc8297

Recruit

thanks for responding so quickly. i did a complete tear down of the carb and used spray cleaner. the only thing i could not disassemble is the jet(?)/rod that is in the bowl and runs up just in front of the butterfly in the top section. when i spray cleaner in the bottom it comes out at the top. also i noticed that inside of that jet/rod is a smaller diameter rod. it would need to be pushed to the side slightly for a flat tip screwdriver to unscrew the jet/rod. i just could not turn it without the fear of damaging the jet/rod. now in the diagram you guys sent this is not noted.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Jet Rod? Are you talking about the venturi tubes? Those are the two tubes you see when you look down the carb throat.......do not remove them, or attempt to remove them.....Doing so will damage the carb beyond repair.

kbdc8297

Recruit

well i removed the core plug from the top and it was clean. so i took it down to a outboard shop. they took the carb apart and used a special tool to remove a jet and found all through the carb, small sand size pieces of rubber from the hoses breaking down. they cleaned it reinstalled it and adj the carb and timing that i tampered with and it runs good now. this took place in about and hour and cost $80.00 and they replaced the intake gasket ,a small hose that goes to the choke and tywraps too. they told me to dump out any remaining fuel in the tank . replace the hose. add an inline filter. use gasoline additive (century) to offset the ethnol from breaking down the hoses.