fuel pump shot!!!!!

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 200 johnson VRO. The vro has been disconnected for sometime, and had oil and gas mixed. Last trip out the boat started surging at full speed, then when throttled down to half speed it would stop surging. Had a friend pump the primer ball at full speed and it almost stopped surging, he could not squeeze the ball fast enough. My question is can I run a diffrent fuel pump other than the vro? The rebuild kit for the vro is like $150 shipped from maxrules. I'm basicly looking for a cheaper solution. Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel pump shot!!!!!

You can convert it to a pulse type pump. Run a search on it, there are several posts on it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The replacment non VRO is typically two pumps at more than the rebuild cost for the VRO.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kennyfam I just did a search on your conversion to a pulse pump. My question is will a single pulse pump supply enough fuel for my six carbs?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Kennyfam I just did a search on your conversion to a pulse pump. My question is will a single pulse pump supply enough fuel for my six carbs?

No. Not in my opinion. I checked the output on mine to see if it would pump enough volume to satisfy my 4 cylinder motor before using it in regular service. 6 is way too much for a single regular pump. Only option is to fit 2 regular pumps.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go with the 2 pulse pump modification. I have that on my engine and love it. They are simple and reliable and rebuild kits are cheap. I also have a glass fuel filter with changeable elements mounted horizontoly under the cowling, it's nice to be able to just look and see how well the pumps are running and how much trash is making it past the main fuel/water sepperator. Just my 2 cents.

Red

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what type pulse pumps do I use? Is there a certain pump to deliver the correct amount of fuel for my v6? How about a picture reddogg of the setup!!!!!

Fed

Commander

There's a lot of things I'd check before repairing/replacing the fuel pump.
Vacuum switch, tank vent, pulse line/connection/limiter, air leaks, filters, fuel pressure.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a lot of things I'd check before repairing/replacing the fuel pump.
Vacuum switch, tank vent, pulse line/connection/limiter, air leaks, filters, fuel pressure.

Carbs cleaned, new fuel line installed and filters replaced. I also used a portable 6 gal tank with new fuel line and primer ball to elimiate the possability it was my below deck tank,antsiphon or tank vent.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found this on ebay item#140570080124 it is exactly what I want to do but he want's $300 bucks for that thing. OUCH